What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just installed the 4.2 beta

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone who has loaded 4.2 beta report what they get when they run an iPhone application with retina support?

iLounge posted the sad answer in their article :

New in iOS 4.2: The Full Breakdown With Screenshots

iPhone/iPod touch Games on iPad. At least for now, games with high-definition Retina Display support do not appear to be capable of running in Retina Display mode on the iPad. They still display with 1X/2X buttons at lower 480x320 resolution.

:(:(:(:(

wnaylor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use "Airprint" but you must install OS 10.6.5 which is available to iPhone developers. Airprint will not work without OS 10.6.5 installed. Please keep in mind that OS 10.6.5 is beta software that has not yet been release to the public. If you install it, you better make sure you have backed up your hardrive.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I'm restoring to the 4.2 beta....did it take a VERY long time to restore for anyone else? Or should I kill it and go DFU?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I let it run took awhile to restore but cannot remember how long also you need to sync second time to get every thing back like music etc

So when you say a while do you mean a couple hours? I think its locked.

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use "Airprint" but you must install OS 10.6.5 which is available to iPhone developers. Airprint will not work without OS 10.6.5 installed. Please keep in mind that OS 10.6.5 is beta software that has not yet been release to the public. If you install it, you better make sure you have backed up your hardrive.

And most of the world does not use Macs and never would.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I activate screen lock for rotation now?

Excellent question my dear! If it is somewhere in the settings, it must be buried pretty deep because I can't find it (but then again, I never used it!).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Excellent question my dear! If it is somewhere in the settings, it must be buried pretty deep because I can't find it (but then again, I never used it!).

double click home to bring up the multitasking bar, then swipe right. the rotation lock control is on there next to the brightness slider and media controls...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed 4.2 and it said it couldn't be activated. Is it because of iTunes 10?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

double click home to bring up the multitasking bar, then swipe right. the rotation lock control is on there next to the brightness slider and media controls...
Well crap! Now I have to thank someone with only 3 posts!!! Do you have any idea how hard that is for me???

And I also have iTunes 10 and it works for me. I can't see how the version of iTunes would affect what features are available on your mobile device?

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys on the first page -

You are harshly rating something already that is in Beta. Of course it will most likely not work. Thats what beta is called. Report them to apple!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you guys on the first page -

you are harshly rating something already that is in beta. Of course it will most likely not work. Thats what beta is called. Report them to apple!

QFT!!! :D

File bug reports and hopefully they will get fixed. I just hope that they will give the OPTION of choosing how to use that switch. I use it all the time. Ever try to read an e-book in bed with auto-rotation enabled?!?!?! NIGHTMARE!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts