What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just installed the 4.2 beta

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your UDID must be added to the apple server by a DEV, otherwise u can not complete the upgrade.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipperlips.jpg

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on this but can just anyone download and try out the 4.2 beta? Or is it only for developers with special codes or so ething?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been released to developers so they can have their apps tested and ready by the time the rest of us unwashed masses get the final release in November.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "biggie" -- multi-tasking!

When I first installed 4.2, I just kind of randomly started opening apps to make sure they would still work. (Most did!) So then when I went to check to see what was opened in the multi-tasking window (by double-tapping the Home button), EVERY app I had opened was in there meaning that it was not really closed all the way, but just sort of "hibernating" or waiting until I needed it again. To close these apps, you hold down one of them until it starts to "wiggle" (just like if you were going to move an app on your screen) and then you can close them one at a time.

I can see where it might be possible to run out of memory real fast if you forget to close out your apps periodically. I have also heard that battery life is somewhat degraded with 4.2 and this might be the reason why (but I don't know for sure).

So far.... not impressed!
As an FYI that list is not truly a list of running apps. It is more like a recently-used apps list, and in that list there may be running apps too. Turn the iPad completely off and then back on and the list will not change, even though it is obvious nothing in the list is actually running.

Hopefully a jailbreak will come for 4.2 soon enough.

On my iPhone 4, which is jailbroken, I am using both Backgrounder and Switcher Plus to manage multitasking. Backgrounder can be tailored for each app, so you can tell certain apps to exit completely when leaving them.

SwitcherPro is nice in that it gives you more control over the recently used task list. Instead of just the the "-" to remove and app from list, and kill it if still running, it gives you a an "->" symbol too ("Kill Prior"). Tapping that will close the app you are tapping on, and all apps to the right of it as well. Very handy.

Better yet, you can exclude apps from "Kill Prior." So for instance if you don't want Safari to be closed when doing that, you can exclude it. You can also add favorites to that list that show up at start of list... even when not running. Very handy app to have under iOS4.

Michael

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone who has loaded 4.2 beta report what they get when they run an iPhone application with retina support? Do you get the full resolution of the retina graphics or do you still just see the pixel doubled low resolution screens??

-Greg

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone who has loaded 4.2 beta report what they get when they run an iPhone application with retina support? Do you get the full resolution of the retina graphics or do you still just see the pixel doubled low resolution screens??

-Greg

Why could u not have asked that question before i jumped back top 3.2 ? :p

Still a damn good question, didn´t think of It !, would like to try It but don´t have the energy to JB and download/install all my apps and deb ipa files all again.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is in testing stage. For example developers have to update their apps to support airprint only safari mail and a couple of others support it so far. To be upto date just search the web as some developers are providing info that may assist in the mean tim just be patient until it passes through to gold release

Most reactions

Latest posts