What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got it!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tapmyapple--please be respectful when posting.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

richardcb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This device is a disaster without retina display...have iPad 3 and ready magazines books surfing watching videos for a year on retina display and suddenly going back to ancient times it feels like...problem is that now the iPad weight feels bad and mini sucks on screen quality...people who have been using retina displays must just avoid buying this one...I left watching a video on mini and went back to Samsung note2 and was so much of fun ...also my fingers or for that matter anything and everything leaves a trace on screen.what a foolish mistake of coming up with great hardware with and ancient screen...I feel it's apples biggest blunder post removing maps of google

It is so sad to see that still a new device from Apple that builds on the success of an existing platform can engender the kind of snobbery demonstrated here. The current iPad mini is not a disaster. It is an attempt by Apple to establish an outpost in an area where it is vulnerable to attack by rivals. The mini will hopefully appeal to new users, those who haven't, for various reasons, considered an iPad before now. They will not notice the difference in screen quality as much as someone who has already invested in a Retina device. They will (hopefully) be attracted by the form factor and the huge range of software available for it. We need these people to help grow the Apple brand and ensure its future survival.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
richardcb said:
It is so sad to see that still a new device from Apple that builds on the success of an existing platform can engender the kind of snobbery demonstrated here. The current iPad mini is not a disaster. It is an attempt by Apple to establish an outpost in an area where it is vulnerable to attack by rivals. The mini will hopefully appeal to new users, those who haven't, for various reasons, considered an iPad before now. They will not notice the difference in screen quality as much as someone who has already invested in a Retina device. They will (hopefully) be attracted by the form factor and the huge range of software available for it. We need these people to help grow the Apple brand and ensure its future survival.

Absolutely right. The market is evolving and Apple have to go with the flow or get left behind. One day, maybe, a retina display will become available, but it would appear that it has to be invented first.

People expect high quality from Apple and are prepared to pay a premium to get it. The 7" and 10" tablet markets are clearly different beasts and its good to see Apple active in both of them.

OP
A

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With all this talk about how the Nexus 7 screen was so much better than the iPad Mini, I decided to go an see. First of all, Google better do a better job of getting places to carry it. I had to call all over to find a store that 1) had it in stock 2) had a demo unit to view. I finally found a GameStop that had a demo unit.
The Nexus size is basically the same length but slimmer. This did make the unit easier to hold with one hand than the iPad Mini. When you put the units side by side and turn them on, it's very apparent that the iPad has a much larger viewing area. This becomes even more apparent when you go to a web page. You can see much more of the web page. This alone to me is a deal sealer for the iPad. Next when you pull up nature pictures and compare the two, you see much richer colors on the iPad vs the Nexus. The iPad had very good contrast and brighter colors versus the Nexus that seemed dull in comparison. I pulled up at least a half a dozen different picture and iPad won hands down. People get too wrapped up with pixels. Just go take a look for yourself.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alanfujii said:
More first impressions. I like it. I was worried that the screen may be too small since I've had bad experiences with 7 inch screens before. The screen is very readable for searching the web. It's very easy to hold in one hand and tap with the other. It feels very comfortable

The screen is actually closer to eight inches and that extra inch make a huge difference in overall screen real estate.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alanfujii said:
I can see where Steve Jobs felt the optimum size was the current iPad. In order to love the mini you have to place a high priority for compactness. I for one have been waiting for the mini for a long time, proof being my resistance to upgrade from my iPad I. I really don't have much of a problem with the screen. The screen is very responsive and it's quite easy to pinch and expand to tap. I do feel it was important for Apple to respond for this market niche or they would have lost it to Android.

I have to agree with Steve jobs on this one. I just can't get into devices that are much smaller than the regular iPad. I'm a big oaf and maybe I'm a bad test case, but the ten inch screen is just perfect for everything I do. I also find the current iPad very portable and easy to handle. Apple did have to get a seven inch tablet out there though and they did it quickly. Good for them.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
...***Edited*** Its really not that bad. Reg ipad is way too big and heavy, if you dont mind lugging around a brick.

Moderator notice...please respect our forum rules!

Lugging around a brick? Seriously? I get that the new mini and its petite size has everyone all giddy but are we really going to start calling the regular iPad a heavy brick? That's like saying that the new Lamborghini Aventador is so fast that it makes the murcielago seem slow. Just doesn't work.

The current iPad is extremely portable, light, and easy to use. Lets not overdo it. I've been reading too much about how the original iPad now feels heavy. No way, people!

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went to Best Buy and picked up a 16gb black with no problem. I made it to the store about 15 minutes after they opened. There were about 6 people some already checking out. Some of them were purchasing the 4th generation Ipad. I was in and out in about 15-20 minutes. I compared the screens on my Ipad 3 and Ipad mini side by side. I can hardly tell the difference. I love the size of the Ipad Mini. I will be selling the ipad 3. I left Best Buy and went to the Apple store. They were sold out of Ipad Minis when I got there. I purchased my Applecare+ and a smart cover. The new smart covers for the Mini are much nicer than the older versions that I've tried in the past. All I need now is something thin to cover the back... "looking at my new mini with a big smile on my face"
I like the Smart Cover as well.. when you find something thin for the back.. please let me know..
Thanks,
Doug

Otto8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ain't getting mini happy with this big one :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF GC = o7708888

Most reactions

Latest posts