What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Gave 100 books away. iPad is the replacment

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally realized that I'll probably wouldn't need my paper books any more.
The iPad will become my reading books. Not that it help me much with that, since3 I keep reading magazines, and can't find the time for books.
But anyway one thing was sure - No need for 100 book to sit there accumulating dust.
Brought it ro my work, put it with a big sign. No need for paper any more.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
See, right now? You're braver than I, peled.

I, too, have moved to electronic books (I use the iPad plus a separate e-ink e-reader). I just can't seem to give up the paper books though. I could free up so much room if I could (I have 9+ bookcases ... filled).

If only I could have some of your courage/fortitude!

Congrats on a brave move!

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm keeping my print books because I have the space and like looking at them, and many of my older books aren't available digitally. I'm buying mostly e-books now, but some of the new stuff I like still isn't available in e-form.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm all for donating unused items. I wonder if there'll be a way to donate e-books, once I'm done with them (like to a library or something).

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm keeping my print books because I have the space and like looking at them, and many of my older books aren't available digitally. I'm buying mostly e-books now, but some of the new stuff I like still isn't available in e-form.

Same here. I have many books in print still that I don't want to give up because they're still a valid reference. I do go for the Kindle first, but even recently at B&N will still buy a bargain book in print if it is of relevance. I don't ever buy fiction. I'll borrow a library book or get one from the paperback swap at my library and then it ends up dispensed with again.

ps249

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the nook eink and the ipad 2 so I got the best of both. I do not buy p[aper books anymore either.

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll never buy paper books either. I mainly use my Kindle for reading because it's easier on the eyes over a long period of time. However, I do use the Kindle app for iPad when I'm in the bed.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Although a proponent of electronic books I will never stop purchasing paper books. It's impossible to replace my signed "Stranger in a Strange Land" for instance, or the 100 other signed books I own electronically. I know that Gollantz plans to release 1,000+ out-of-print books in ebook format next year but looking at the list of authors it's not yet an incentive for me to toss out all my no longer available out-of-print books. Plus, there is a hard to explain quality about holding a paper book in my hands. Don't get me wrong I love reading on the iPad but I also enjoy holding a hardcover book in my hands, as well. Please, by all means, give your paper books away if you wish. I'm certain there are a lot of non-ereader people out there who will benefit from your generosity.

Reaction score
If I could change the fonts on my paper books to a larger size I'd prefer them , especially reference and my machinists library but alas I've had to switch to Kindle for the ability to instantly change the words to large on the pages. When my allergies are kicking into high gear even my glasses don't cut the mustard for paper books

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

bikermolly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my iPad for reading books and also a ebook reader. Gave a batch of books to charity shop last month.

padnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to use my IPad for reading but have a hard time paying $10 for a book and then I can't donate it or re-sell it. Plus, I hardly every buy books - I get them from the library!! When I can get my ebooks from the library - then I'll be happy!! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to use my IPad for reading but have a hard time paying $10 for a book and then I can't donate it or re-sell it. Plus, I hardly every buy books - I get them from the library!! When I can get my ebooks from the library - then I'll be happy!! :)

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get library e-books. Libraries in the U.S. that are affiliated with Overdrive (many are) offer e-books. The Singapore library system also offers e-books. There probably are growing numbers elsewhere. Selection is much more limited than with print books, of course, because their e-book buying is relatively new.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
peled said:
I finally realized that I'll probably wouldn't need my paper books any more.
The iPad will become my reading books. Not that it help me much with that, since3 I keep reading magazines, and can't find the time for books.
But anyway one thing was sure - No need for 100 book to sit there accumulating dust.
Brought it ro my work, put it with a big sign. No need for paper any more.

I donated most books and audiobooks on cassette tape. I'll probably give up books on CD eventually. Audible, Kindle, and Overdrive has almost everything I want to hear and read.

Most reactions

Latest posts