What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just bought a Ipad Pro 3rd Generation 12.9 and thought I could create folders

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said in my title I just purchased a iPad Pro third-generation 12.9 inch and thought I would be able to create folders on the iPad itself without using iCloud. So far I've been unable to find any way to do that, I have specific PDFs that I would like to save in project folders that I name so that when I want to access them I'm able to quickly find the project in the files in that project folder.

I'm afraid that Apple hasn't developed this option as of yet I'm hoping I'm wrong but if I'm correct can anyone tell me if there is a third-party app that would help me do the same thing?

Thanks in advance

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome and a good choice of iPad.

First of all, IOS is very different to many other operating systems in that every app is seperate from others and it does take a bit of getting used to. As long as apps support a file type, then generally files can be shared with other apps.

Initially confusingly, for most users including me, you cannot create a folder exactly as you want to, but the solution is to create the folder within an app - and, in your case, an app capable of reading pdfs.

Others will come along with more and better explanations, but in the meantime, try Documents by Readdle in the app store, which I am pretty sure is free and is excellent. I use it for PDFs, ePubs, etc. and it will do what you want in one app. Another would be File Browser, but I do not think that that is free. There are lots of free alternatives in the App Store to try. You can then export the files from Documents to the Books app, for example, if you want to and also save them off line, on iCloud.

To import the files into Documents, you need to create a link from within Documents to your PC, Mac or wherever the files are, for example in a shared folder. Within Documents you then connect to the shared folder and download the files into Documents.

Brief, but I hope the above is enough to start you off.

OP
E

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome and a good choice of iPad.

First of all, IOS is very different to many other operating systems in that every app is seperate from others and it does take a bit of getting used to. As long as apps support a file type, then generally files can be shared with other apps.

Initially confusingly, for most users including me, you cannot create a folder exactly as you want to, but the solution is to create the folder within an app - and, in your case, an app capable of reading pdfs.

Others will come along with more and better explanations, but in the meantime, try Documents by Readdle in the app store, which I am pretty sure is free and is excellent. I use it for PDFs, ePubs, etc. and it will do what you want in one app. Another would be File Browser, but I do not think that that is free. There are lots of free alternatives in the App Store to try. You can then export the files from Documents to the Books app, for example, if you want to and also save them off line, on iCloud.

To import the files into Documents, you need to create a link from within Documents to your PC, Mac or wherever the files are, for example in a shared folder. Within Documents you then connect to the shared folder and download the files into Documents.

Brief, but I hope the above is enough to start you off.

OP
E

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendation of Documents by Readdle, Looks like a very interesting app and I think it will work however I can't seem to find out how I can transfer the PDF files from my computer to this app?

I know I can transfer PDF files in iTunes to my iPad but have no idea how to get them into Documents by Readdle, any help would be appreciated

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
758AEB17-5969-45E6-B3A4-1C4FF31F0862.jpeg

What type of computer op system? Mac or PC? I can answer for a PC link.

If Windows, set up a shared folder and put some of the pdfs in it. On Documents, you will need to make the connection to the Shared Folder. In Documents, select the +Add, see my screenshot. You now have a series of options on how to add the account. For a Windows PC I use Windows SMB. You will need the ip address for the URL as well as the login and password. The Title is up to you.

Once you have added the account, clicking it, Simikar to the Dropbox to E560 links in my screenshot, should bring up your shared folder. To the right of the files in the Shared Folder, are 3 dots. Click on one of these will give you options, including download, which is what you want to bring the files onto the iPad.

You obviously can select several files and download them together.

I hope that this helps you.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I am on 7 although I see that you can set sharing on 10. Try entering your URL details, etc. and see if anything is sharing by default on 10.

You could set up access on Windows 10 with webdav I believe. Alternatively use Dropbox or Box as an intermediate step. (Once you have an understanding of IOS, you will other better ways I am sure.)

OP
E

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your reply but due to security measures I don't mess around with shared folders. Anytime you're adding a URL your Inviting hackers I guess I'll have to figure out either a different out or some way that I can do it through iTunes. Thanks for all your replies

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could email them to yourself. Then in the mail app, ‘share’ the pdf attachment with Documents.

OP
E

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've thought of that however I don't set up an email on my iPad nor my iPhone. I guess I'm still old-fashioned and I like my emails on my computer. I know in the world nowadays everyone lives on their phones and iPads but I figure there's no email the can't wait a few hours for me to reply. I appreciate your continuing effort in helping me but I'll figure out a way sooner or later I guess. I can get them over using iTunes but they go into my iBooks, do you know if I can move them over to documents from there?

OP
E

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a way to transfer my PDFs using iTunes, and I also found an app called PDF expert which is made by the same company that makes documents that you recommended and it will allow me to take all the PDFs and combine them into one book which is great. Thanks for your help again

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you have both Documents by Readdle and PDF Expert by Readdle all of Expert’s features will appear in the Documents app. Anotherwords, you can use PDF Expert as a stand alone app, or as a feature extender for Documents.

Also, if you have iCloud Drive you can create folder there useing the Files app; which can also be accessed in the Documents and PDF Expert app. Both apps also act as document servers, which means you can create folder in the local PDF Expert folder on the iPad using Files.

To see if you can create a folder in the Files app, pull down on the screen and look for a folder icon with a pluss sign at the top left of the screen.

Keep in mind that if you have iCloud Drive, Docuents/PDF Expert will have two folder locations. One local as shown below, and one in iCloud Drive.

Also, both PDF Expert and Documents have a Wi-Fi Transfer options. This allows you to transrer files to from those apps using a browser on another computer on the same wi-fi network. Easier than using iTunes.

304168EA-78AA-4C5C-8BE5-197DA00B3C52.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts