What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a ramble not a rant.

Luber Lou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm 78 years old and have diddled with computers since 1995, the days of Microsoft 3.1.whatever. I'm no computer geek, I can do what I do day to day and that's it. I'm not too gamey, solitaire is flat out for me and my DSL is so slow I really don't watch any movies. I remember the earlier days when software was touted as “user friendly†and “intuitive.†I don't hear those phrases used as much today when describing software. I presently have a desktop, laptop, Nook color and an I Pad 2. The I Pad is a recent arrival. With the introduction of the newest Apple tablet the price of a refurbished 16 gig wi-fi I Pad 2 got into my budget range. I like it, keep it handy and use it daily. For me it is not a replacement for a PC. The Nook came into my life over a year ago I still use it to when reading . It's the right size to travel easily and be handy to use when the car is being serviced or I'm waiting in a doctors office. Shortly after I received the Nook I tried one of the Android mods, the Nook thought it was a phone. Later I tried some of the newer variants of Android, the Nook knew it was a tablet but theâ€user friendly†and “intuitive†part was still missing. Then came the I Pad, thin, light for it's size and very good battery life with a “user friendly†operating system. Steve Jobs did no one a favor when he decided against flash. I use the I Pad daily and cuss it daily as various sites using flash refuse to work. I find the I Pad to be a good device for consuming the internet but less than perfect for creating things. Longer text is doable but not prime. I have added a Zagg bluetooth keyboard, it's easier than typing on glass but it is another thing to carry. The display is small, bigger than the Nook but smallish. The smart cover is a good addition. It protects the screen and also turns things on a on off, very handy. I have also added a gel back cover. The I Pad 2 has glass right to the edge which makes the screen vulnerable to breakage. The gel back adds a bit of protection for the edges but also adds to the overall bulk. I also like the feel of the gel back it seems more secure in the hand. Not as sexy as brushed aluminum but secure. Now a smaller I Pad is rumored, things could get interesting.

NickyD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

If you want to surf a flash websites you can do it with a different browser than Safari. Go to the App Store and download Puffin browser , has a free version too! Because flash is dead on smartphones and tablets ( they stopped updating it, and will not continue adding support for any mobile device) you can use apps that through different software solution support flash. One of those apps is Puffin Browser or Skyfire Browser. They don't work as good as Safari or other native browsers but they get the job done.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm 78 years old and have diddled with computers since 1995, the days of Microsoft 3.1.whatever. I'm no computer geek, I can do what I do day to day and that's it. I'm not too gamey, solitaire is flat out for me and my DSL is so slow I really don't watch any movies. I remember the earlier days when software was touted as “user friendly” and “intuitive.” I don't hear those phrases used as much today when describing software. I presently have a desktop, laptop, Nook color and an I Pad 2. The I Pad is a recent arrival. With the introduction of the newest Apple tablet the price of a refurbished 16 gig wi-fi I Pad 2 got into my budget range. I like it, keep it handy and use it daily. For me it is not a replacement for a PC. The Nook came into my life over a year ago I still use it to when reading . It's the right size to travel easily and be handy to use when the car is being serviced or I'm waiting in a doctors office. Shortly after I received the Nook I tried one of the Android mods, the Nook thought it was a phone. Later I tried some of the newer variants of Android, the Nook knew it was a tablet but the”user friendly” and “intuitive” part was still missing. Then came the I Pad, thin, light for it's size and very good battery life with a “user friendly” operating system. Steve Jobs did no one a favor when he decided against flash. I use the I Pad daily and cuss it daily as various sites using flash refuse to work. I find the I Pad to be a good device for consuming the internet but less than perfect for creating things. Longer text is doable but not prime. I have added a Zagg bluetooth keyboard, it's easier than typing on glass but it is another thing to carry. The display is small, bigger than the Nook but smallish. The smart cover is a good addition. It protects the screen and also turns things on a on off, very handy. I have also added a gel back cover. The I Pad 2 has glass right to the edge which makes the screen vulnerable to breakage. The gel back adds a bit of protection for the edges but also adds to the overall bulk. I also like the feel of the gel back it seems more secure in the hand. Not as sexy as brushed aluminum but secure. Now a smaller I Pad is rumored, things could get interesting.

Welcome and thanks for the ramble, which I enjoyed.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To some the iPad won't replace any PC for others(from what I read)it has so it's all based on one's personal viewpoint.

But anyway your opinion is very thought out and not based on fanboyish ramblings that everyone Apple fan or not can appreciate.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 78 years old and have diddled with computers since 1995, the days of Microsoft 3.1.whatever. I'm no computer geek, I can do what I do day to day and that's it. I'm not too gamey, solitaire is flat out for me and my DSL is so slow I really don't watch any movies. I remember the earlier days when software was touted as “user friendly” and “intuitive.” I don't hear those phrases used as much today when describing software. I presently have a desktop, laptop, Nook color and an I Pad 2. The I Pad is a recent arrival. With the introduction of the newest Apple tablet the price of a refurbished 16 gig wi-fi I Pad 2 got into my budget range. I like it, keep it handy and use it daily. For me it is not a replacement for a PC. The Nook came into my life over a year ago I still use it to when reading . It's the right size to travel easily and be handy to use when the car is being serviced or I'm waiting in a doctors office. Shortly after I received the Nook I tried one of the Android mods, the Nook thought it was a phone. Later I tried some of the newer variants of Android, the Nook knew it was a tablet but the”user friendly” and “intuitive” part was still missing. Then came the I Pad, thin, light for it's size and very good battery life with a “user friendly” operating system. Steve Jobs did no one a favor when he decided against flash. I use the I Pad daily and cuss it daily as various sites using flash refuse to work. I find the I Pad to be a good device for consuming the internet but less than perfect for creating things. Longer text is doable but not prime. I have added a Zagg bluetooth keyboard, it's easier than typing on glass but it is another thing to carry. The display is small, bigger than the Nook but smallish. The smart cover is a good addition. It protects the screen and also turns things on a on off, very handy. I have also added a gel back cover. The I Pad 2 has glass right to the edge which makes the screen vulnerable to breakage. The gel back adds a bit of protection for the edges but also adds to the overall bulk. I also like the feel of the gel back it seems more secure in the hand. Not as sexy as brushed aluminum but secure. Now a smaller I Pad is rumored, things could get interesting.
hi and welcome to the forum,i love my ipad but use my macbook pro for most things.
here are some helpful links-
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discu...412896524?mt=8
Apple - Support - Manuals
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!
iOS5 Tips and Tricks
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
Forum rules - everybody please read
poisonivy.

Most reactions

Latest posts