What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury awards Apple more than $1B, finds Samsung infringed

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did any of your hear that Apple and Microsoft have and agreement that MS's mobile products won't look like Apple's? That is one reason why the Windows Phone OS is so radically different from both iOS and Android. Some think it is superior to both, even though its market share is tiny in comparison. True innovation is hard work and doesn't not happen everyday. What most refer to as innovation is not really innovation, it just a simple tweak or rehash of what has been done before. Little is truly new under the sun these days.

I also don't believe in living in one eco system, but I do tend to be loyal to brands that consistently work well for me. If you burn me on a product, I will be leery about other products from you. Google burned me bad with the Google TV...then HTC burned me with the Droid Incredible (Android phone). My Acer Iconia is not a very good tablet (IMO, but it does have some good points), but I don't really blame Acer for that. MS burned me for years and years with Windows, but I think most of us were victims there. So far, Google/Asus are doing well with the Nexus 7, even though apps have started FCing on me. JB remains buttery smooth. I like Asus as a company so that is really why I bought the Nexus.

I've read such, but I don't think there need be agreements that you won't copy one another, lol. Just go and do it. I think innovation isn't that hard; there are plenty of prototypes floating about, for instance, with lots of individuality.

The thing is, companies mimic because they're afraid of risk. That's why you'll see a slew of books or movies of the same ilk at the same time. It's not that no one can think of anything different. It's that people think they'll have a better shot at making a buck. If this billion dollar decision has any possible good, it will show companies that copying carries its own risks.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No matter who wins in these cases, the lawyers will make out like bandits.

Yep that's always the case isn't it. No matter the outcome in court cases,the lawyers always come out on top.

Now as far as Apple and Samsung,if Samsung blantenly copied Apple's tech and broke copyright infringement than Apple has every right to sue for infringement although I'm with everyone when it comes to healthy competition.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was reading an article from Seeking Alpha, a financial information website, regarding the Apple v. Samsung litigation in San Jose, California. This article had a chart, Who Is Suing Whom? It is from the Kanazate Group llc. I thought it would help you all keep track.

Attachments

• image-873698833.jpg
    image-873698833.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 148

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personal knowledge working directly with company lawyers on a fairly regular basis.

Companies like Apple and Samung have lawyers on payroll, which is common knowledge. Those lawyers aren't the heavy hitters who've been dealing with these trials. No company keeps such lawyers on payroll, because they don't pursue these kinds of cases day in, day out. These duties are hired out, as has been widely reported.

My company has a crew of in-house counsel, too. When we're involved in any type of lawsuit, the big guns are brought in from outside.

Last edited:

blakechen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What worries me most is that if Samsung has to pay a big patent deal to Apple, I will get my new galaxy devices with more money.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What worries me most is that if Samsung has to pay a big patent deal to Apple, I will get my new galaxy devices with more money.

That's probably a valid concern.

I wonder how things will play out given that there are so many lawsuits and decisions that have been made and decisions still to come worldwide. There have been bans or temporary bans ordered in some lawsuits against sales for specific models, too. And Samsung is appealing the billion dollar decision.

Temp62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Innovation and design, Apple must pay Samsung Why can not you do the same. It will damage the customer's choice, but this is the fault of Samsung copying someone else's idea, and said that they do, is the first.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem is not the blatant copying, but if Apple took no action it effectively means that all future copying becomes acceptable by default.
Five years to develop the iPhone, three months for the first Samsung copy.

I won't be buying any Samsung goods and if that means I'm a fanboy so be it....
That fact that some Korean chaebols act much like mafia families doesn't enhance their reputation.

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think Samsung needs to get innovative instead of coping others. This might be a good thing because this will force others to be original and trying to one up Apple which in turn they'll try to one up the competition thus getting innovation out to customers.

Most reactions