What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jury awards Apple more than $1B, finds Samsung infringed

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
koh_reads_verdict_610x459.png

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500159-37/jury-awards-apple-more-than-$1b-finds-samsung-infringed/

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before people might storm in with rage for either side, be nice to other members.

Sent from K48

ipadsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This could only happen in America, the world leaders in suing people. As a user of both an Android phone and an iPad 3, I am gutted by the result. It has shown how pathetic Apple have become and it is clear they feel threatened by Samsung. The competition between Apple and Samsung was a positive thing, ensuring that both companies make bigger and better products. As much as I love my iPad I really hope this result back fires on Apple.

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadsi said:
This could only happen in America, the world leaders in suing people. As a user of both an Android phone and an iPad 3, I am gutted by the result. It has shown how pathetic Apple have become and it is clear they feel threatened by Samsung. The competition between Apple and Samsung was a positive thing, ensuring that both companies make bigger and better products. As much as I love my iPad I really hope this result back fires on Apple.

Yep I agree, close competition is what we need and I don't like the way Apple sues anyone that comes close to their design.
I also have an Android phone and the iPad 2 and my Galaxy S2 phone has been brilliant, I would not hesitate to buy phones from Samsung but while Apple phones are very good products they are also very restricted by Apple and I think these sort of court cases can only damage their reputation. Just think of the guys that would miss out on some of the best phones in the world if Apple follows up with its threats to ban imports/sales.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Samsung blatantly copied Apple's patented designs in order to get a phone to market quickly. The court and jury found them guilty and they have to pay $1B in restitution.

Patents on original design are protected under the US Constitution.

Everything worked exactly as it was supposed to in this case.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you were the person who created these devices and someone copied your design but by cutting out the designers fee, then yes, of course they would be cheaper to manufacture. Apple have to pay for innovation and design, why can't Samsung do the same. It will harm customers choice but that is Samsung's fault for copying other people's ideas and saying they did it first. Why couldn't Samsung just come up with their own ideas and everyone can make their own choice. I've had Samsung devices before but for me, Apple devices are near perfect.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

ipadsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Samsung blatantly copied Apple's patented designs in order to get a phone to market quickly. The court and jury found them guilty and they have to pay $1B in restitution.

Patents on original design are protected under the US Constitution.

Everything worked exactly as it was supposed to in this case.

The court was complete farce in the first place being held in California. Of course an American Jury and Judge were going to find a South Korean company guilty. I bet every single one owns an iPhone. The thing I find ironic is that Samsung provide screens and chips to Apple!

Shame on you America and Apple.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both have billions upon billions in revenue. Samsung makes as we know, numerous electronic products, cameras, etc. Android phones/tablets ets are just one part. Apple we know makes billions.
I read the article and in an of itself, copyright infringement is what it is, and any other product out there would have the original maker doing same.
I do think healthy competition of course just incites each to make a better product. And fact is, there are loads of people who will never buy an iPhone because they don't like Apple.
I have no issue with Android, and find the phones pretty cool, but I would never own one because I like my iPhone. So many of us aren't swayed and lured away to a Samsung phone. And I can tell the difference between them. Also, cost-wise, I know what the latest iPhone model runs. Are the Samsungs in a comparable price range? I would assume so, therefore the consumer is not swayed by cost difference, so most that can pick an iPhone might, but many then surely don't because perhaps they just plain don't want an iPhone.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The court was complete farce in the first place being held in California. Of course an American Jury and Judge were going to find a South Korean company guilty. I bet every single one owns an iPhone. The thing I find ironic is that Samsung provide screens and chips to Apple!

Totally unfair. Lots of people own non-apple phones and certainly lots of people own Samsung electronics in America. And both companies do business in America. Finally, Samsung is a big company, the part that sells memory and screens is not necessary the same part that makes phones and sells them.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

We realize that this is your opinion, but we ask for you to be respectful to members and their origins. If not, we will CLOSE this thread down.

Thank you.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No matter who wins in these cases, the lawyers will make out like bandits.

Would be nice to see some kind of consumer benefit from this -- maybe more varied products longer term.

I'm neither an Apple or Samsung booster, though I own devices from both. I'll buy whichever products work well for me.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple's lawyers are all on the payroll and get paid the same win or lose.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No matter who wins in these cases, the lawyers will make out like bandits.

Would be nice to see some kind of consumer benefit from this -- maybe more varied products longer term.

I'm neither an Apple or Samsung booster, though I own devices from both. I'll buy whichever products work well for me.

Did any of your hear that Apple and Microsoft have and agreement that MS's mobile products won't look like Apple's? That is one reason why the Windows Phone OS is so radically different from both iOS and Android. Some think it is superior to both, even though its market share is tiny in comparison. True innovation is hard work and doesn't not happen everyday. What most refer to as innovation is not really innovation, it just a simple tweak or rehash of what has been done before. Little is truly new under the sun these days.

I also don't believe in living in one eco system, but I do tend to be loyal to brands that consistently work well for me. If you burn me on a product, I will be leery about other products from you. Google burned me bad with the Google TV...then HTC burned me with the Droid Incredible (Android phone). My Acer Iconia is not a very good tablet (IMO, but it does have some good points), but I don't really blame Acer for that. MS burned me for years and years with Windows, but I think most of us were victims there. So far, Google/Asus are doing well with the Nexus 7, even though apps have started FCing on me. JB remains buttery smooth. I like Asus as a company so that is really why I bought the Nexus.

Most reactions

Latest posts