What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.jpg photo

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was sent a photo with the extension .jpg and can download and view via mobile me. Now when I press and hold and then click "save image" and then go to my camera roll all it gives me is this:

Please help as I am in the medical field and need certain pics available to me. btw: the photos I need was sent from an iPad 1 and I am using an iPad 2. Apple could not help over the phone nor in store. Over the phone told me that the iPad does not support .jpeg, and the Apple genius bar never saw this before. We downloaded to another iPad and same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

Attachments

• image-3871808079.png
    image-3871808079.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 377

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've heard of this happening before. Mostly it's just the thumbnail that is messed up, the picture can be viewed. At any rate, a restart sometimes fixes it.

Hold down the Power button until the power off slider appears, and slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a few seconds, then hold down the power button until the Apple logo appears.

Reaction score
For some reason mine does it when I send a photo that I crop on my phone. It's really weird. I'll send 2 or more and the first one does fine but the rest do the same as the posted picture. If I send just 1 it does the same " error" as posted above. Just cropped photos though. I use a video still shot maker on my phone ( frame grabber) and email them to my iPad. As long as I don't crop the still they work fine, if I crop they don't.
Powering down doesn't help.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I've heard of this happening before. Mostly it's just the thumbnail that is messed up, the picture can be viewed. At any rate, a restart sometimes fixes it.

Hold down the Power button until the power off slider appears, and slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, wait a few seconds, then hold down the power button until the Apple logo appears.

I tried that. Also I used iTunes to sync the folder where the pics were(and also did turn on and off iPad) and still the same thing.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you still view it when tapped? Or does it do nothing?
If not my suggestion is when viewing in mobile me is to take a snapshot of screen by pressing the power & home key @ same time quickly which will save a snapshot of screen to photo's.

Last edited:
OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Can you still view it when tapped? Or does it do nothing?
If not my suggestion is when viewing in mobile me is to take a snapshot of screen by pressing the power & home key @ same time quickly which will save a snapshot of screen to photo's.

No it just has the image above.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What if friend emails the pic to you and then save it to "photo app" this way bypassing mobile me....does it still show up as gray out pic?
What is the res of the jpg? If you try the suggestion I made above about taking a snapshot of the screen when you are viewing it via mobile me, does thumbnail show up then?

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my case I get the same as the op picture no matter the origination or destination. I'll check the resolution but I know it's small. 607x576. 41kb

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
What if friend emails the pic to you and then save it to "photo app" this way bypassing mobile me....does it still show up as gray out pic?
What is the res of the jpg? If you try the suggestion I made above about taking a snapshot of the screen when you are viewing it via mobile me, does thumbnail show up then?

Mobile me is my email. So I need it to send/receive email.

The resolution of the pic is:1800x1200 another pic is 564x1007

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible your friend saved it in Jpg 2000, or one of the other format variations. You said you can open it on the computer. My recommendation is to open it there, then use the Save As option to re-save it. Make sure that your options (if they exist) are for standard jpg (no interlace either).

Then send it to yourself again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mail account should be irrelevant, as long as the attachment arrives.

Since it was sent from an iPad 1, I have to guess that it was viewable there, which pretty much ruins my last theory.

I'd like to determine where the problem is occurring. If you have a DropBox account, or other way to load the picture to the iPad, you should try that. Just to be certain it's not the picture format itself.

If you have not done so, it would be a good idea to send some other pictures to yourself in email and see if you can save those to the photo app and have it work.

And, also if not done yet, send the same picture back to yourself from the computer and try to save it to the app.

If the picture is not sensitive/private, posting it here might help too. I'd like to get a look at it's format and metadata.

Reaction score
The mail account should be irrelevant, as long as the attachment arrives.

Since it was sent from an iPad 1, I have to guess that it was viewable there, which pretty much ruins my last theory.

I'd like to determine where the problem is occurring. If you have a DropBox account, or other way to load the picture to the iPad, you should try that. Just to be certain it's not the picture format itself.

If you have not done so, it would be a good idea to send some other pictures to yourself in email and see if you can save those to the photo app and have it work.

And, also if not done yet, send the same picture back to yourself from the computer and try to save it to the app.

If the picture is not sensitive/private, posting it here might help too. I'd like to get a look at it's format and metadata.

This is an example of mine acting like the OPs
Edit: uploading to Dropbox worked perfectly, so did uploading to Photobucket and downloading from either to the iPad
Thank you. I've got both on my phone so my issue has a plan B. Thank you again.
I hope the op gets theirs resolved as well in the same or similarly easy method.
Laserguy, with Photobucket once you sign up you can get an email address to mail the photos to ( free) and put the app on your iPad ( free) and download them from Photobucket. If someone is emailing you the photos you can give them the address to email to.
Dropbox you can upload from the source ( desktop, phone,IPad, etc) and download via the free app to your iPad.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1306610202199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1306610202199.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Most reactions