What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jot Stylus

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick update, I guess the email I got Saturday was just letting me know that a shipping label had been printed, it hadn't actually shipped. BUT I checked the tracking number this morning and it shows the delivery date being tomorrow (Tuesday). The only shipping available is standard ground (7 days) for $6 which is what I was billed on my receipt. Not complaining at all, just surprised it's going to be here that soon. By the way, tracking shows its coming from Louisville, KY and I live in Seattle, WA.

If it doesn't arrive it's because I grabbed it off the truck when it got to Seattle. :D I let Heaviside convince me to get one even after he'd already seduced me into several other stylus purchases.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus which is nice but still the thickness of the nub bothers me, sometimes it's almost a guessing game as of to where the line will actully be when drawing or writing. And leave my Jot alone, been waiting too long!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my Jot Pro in gun metal showed up today. I’ve only had a chance to play with it for about 30 minutes or so but so far I like it a LOT! Very solid feeling and well made. It could be a little heavier but that’s just a personal taste. I went back and forth between my Jot Pro and Wacom Bamboo stylus and hands down the Jot is better. It allows me to be more accurate with my strokes and where I want the lines/print to be placed. The nub of the Wacom stylus has a slight feeling of sticking to the screen where the Jot does not. Just for clarification I have an anti-glare protector on and the iPad is also in a Griffin Survivor case so there is another sheet of plastic and the Jot has no problem writing on both of them and the iPad recognizes everything just fine. One thing I really like about the Jot is the cap is threaded which I didn’t realize by looking at the pictures. The tip and end of the pen portion are also threaded
jot2.jpg
jot3.jpg

So when you put the cap on it stays in place and you don’t have to worry about it falling off or popping off due to pressure when writing and the end resting in between your thumb and index finger
jot.jpg

The clear disc is very small, at its widest point it measures about 1/4" and I have no problem seeing through it to see guide lines on apps such as UPAD. A guy I work with had me order him one (so the wife won’t see the charge on the card) and I decided to order another one as a back-up. Should it get lost I don’t want to have to wait several weeks. I would recommend this stylus to everyone. These pictures are from Adonit's website, I just cropped them and circled the areas for reference.

Last edited:

Jasonastacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone is like me and was on the fence about this stylus maybe this will push it one way for you.
I found the Jot pro stylus at this site: http://www.bitemyapple.co/
Chris Johnson runs this site and is a authorized reseller for the jot pro. He posts on their site regularly.
He has the jot pro for 27.99 and 4.95 shipping to US. That's about 4-5 bucks cheaper than adonit.net. Here's the clincher, they provided him with a shipment so he has these in stock now. I ordered today and it shipped today, no need to wait the 4 weeks-Jot pro only in gun metal.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received the Jot Pro today. I certainly hope it's easier to use than it was to take out of its plastic case. There's definitely an "unboxing" video required. Once I managed to break into the plastic case, I happened to recall someone mentioning that the cap is screwed onto the holder in the case. Otherwise I'd still be trying to pry it loose.

I like the weight. Definitely heftier than most styli. The magnetic feature is nice. I understand the comments about the noisiness of using the stylus as it "clicks" along. Those of us who "print" individual letters are most likely to be annoyed. I've become accustomed to my iFaraday models and this will require some getting used to. But I'll follow my own advice and try it for awhile before making any final judgements. Being a southpaw it doesn't solve my biggest problem with most handwriting apps (Penultimate excluded) where the "palm rest" needs to be on the left side of the page rather than at the bottom.

I'm a bit dubious about how durable it's likely to be. I've noticed some complaints on the website along those lines. Along with some complaints about scratching the iPad screen. But frankly, I can't imagine how the latter occurs unless the user is treating it like a spear.

This makes my fifth stylus. I think I've definitely concluded that it all comes down to individual preferences and making the effort to practice with whichever one you choose to use. The differences in the styluses themselves are simply less critical. Though I do like the iFaraday models and I think I'll probably like the "Jot" when I get used to it.

Jasonastacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also just received my Jot Pro today (2 day shipping) and I agree it was secure package setup. I've only used it for maybe 30 mins so far (Notes and Quick graphs) and It is a different writing experience. I have been using the iFaraday also and got used to that smooth drag feel. The Jot Pro is smooth but with different drag than anything I've tried up to this point. I print my notes so there is a lot of clicking going on and it can be a bit annoying at first. I'll take it to class tomorrow and see how it works out.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got past the clicking pretty quickly. With the increased accuracy, I can go back and complete or modify a stroke on a letter---completely impossible with the others.

Give it a bit of time. I think you will wind up loving it as I do.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to add my thanks to Heaviside for starting this thread ... and to the rest of you for your comments and reviews.

I ordered a Jot on September 9 from the Adonit web site. I did not participate in the Kickstarter program, so my receipt said it was a 4 week pre-order. Well, I got it yesterday (September 24). So, first off, they are shipping faster than stated...

And I am loving it!

Some backstory: I decided that, starting this semester, I would use my iPad to take all my class notes. I'm using NoteShelf for regular notes and UPAD for Powerpoint-slides-converted-to-PDF type notes. I was using the Kensington stylus (liked the longer length, plus it was heavier in feel and had a pen). It was working well for me, but, as others have noted, it was not that accurate if I was using it outside of the app's "zoom" feature.

So, after the reviews here and watching a video online, I ordered the Jot Pro. I don't need the magnet (have an iPad1) but I liked the colors better - not too into reds, greens, blues, etc. I like black). After the initial trauma of trying to get it out of the package :)D), I started writing with it in my NoteShelf app.

It is phenomenal! The writing is smooth and very easy to do. At times, with the Kensington stylus (and also the Targus - the ones with the rubber tip), the stylus would "catch" on the screen and not write well. Not so with the Jot. My handwriting is more recognizable as mine. In fact, I can almost write with the Jot as if I am using a pen on paper. The plastic tip also makes it very convenient to type in finer details, such as double quotes because I can actually see where the "ink" needs to go.

My only complaint is that it does make a sound every time the plastic part meets the screen of the iPad. However, for me, that's easily overcome by the accuracy I now have. We'll see what the other students (and the professors!) have to say about that noise when I take it in to my first class on Monday...

I'm still practicing with it - but I think this is what I need and will be very happy with. Well, enough so that I've ordered another. :eek:

Again, thanks for taking out this thread. This is going to suit me very well.

Marilyn

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My only complaint is that it does make a sound every time the plastic part meets the screen of the iPad. However, for me, that's easily overcome by the accuracy I now have. We'll see what the other students (and the professors!) have to say about that noise when I take it in to my first class on Monday...

As a former "prof" I'd say that a little clicking here and there in a large lecture hall would be bearable. Have to say, though, that a class of 300 students clicking away on iPads with Jots would be a challenge...to say the least. Hopefully, the Jot won't become that popular and/or not all students make Marilyn's decision to abandon paper and pencil, altogether.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a former "prof" I'd say that a little clicking here and there in a large lecture hall would be bearable. Have to say, though, that a class of 300 students clicking away on iPads with Jots would be a challenge...to say the least. Hopefully, the Jot won't become that popular and/or not all students make Marilyn's decision to abandon paper and pencil, altogether.

I too am a retired prof, but never thought about the clicking issue. But look at it this way: it would beat snores--or the clicking of notebook keys as they surfed the web!

More seriously, I just added a Moshi iVisorscreen protector and found that this virtually eliminates the clicking noise for handwriting. Also reduces the harshness of the clicks when just tapping virtual keys. So I think a screen protector is a good accompaniment for the Jot.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am a retired prof, but never thought about the clicking issue. But look at it this way: it would beat snores--or the clicking of notebook keys as they surfed the web!

More seriously, I just added a Moshi iVisorscreen protector and found that this virtually eliminates the clicking noise for handwriting. Also reduces the harshness of the clicks when just tapping virtual keys. So I think a screen protector is a good accompaniment for the Jot.

LOL. Your comment reminded me of a class I was teaching as a grad student. Being a hip young TA, I had the 10 or so students over to my apartment for the class one evening. As the class went on, I kept feeling pressure against my shoulder from the student sitting next to me on the couch. It was only when his head fell onto my shoulder that I realized he was asleep. :D

By the way, I've been using my new Jot Pro over the last few days and have found that if I hold it at an acute angle, as I would with a pen on paper it sometimes fails to register my strokes. I was under the impression that the Jot was supposed to be an improvement on "regular" styluses on this score so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Any comment?

Jasonastacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
By the way, I've been using my new Jot Pro over the last few days and have found that if I hold it at an acute angle, as I would with a pen on paper it sometimes fails to register my strokes. I was under the impression that the Jot was supposed to be an improvement on "regular" styluses on this score so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Any comment?

I've noticed that as well. I've also noticed that this stylus requires more pressure than the iFaraday.

kanderna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely shipping faster... I ordered on 9/14, and I received notification today of shipment. This will be my first stylus, so excited to give it a shot!

Most reactions