What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java

Aldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read the other day that java will stop making java software and concentrate on other stuff, anyone else got more info ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First I've heard of this

Is it possible you've got it confused with Adobe stoping development of Flash for mobile devices?.

BTW, Sun owns/develops/licences Java.

OP
Aldo

Aldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks as if Flash for mobile isn't the only platform that Adobe has no further love for, with the company also set to ditch its Flash TV plans as well.

The move comes just a day after Adobe effectively proved Steve Jobs right by killing off Flash for mobile and admitting that the platform wasn't right for mobile devices.

Adobe has now given a statement to GigaOM saying:

"Adobe will continue to support existing licensees who are planning on supporting Flash Player for web browsing on digital home devices and are using the Flash Player Porting Kit to do so. However we believe the right approach to deliver content on televisions is through applications, not a web browsing experience, and we will continue to encourage the device and content publishing community down that path.

So the message to Flash TV device makers, such as Google, is clear; carry on if you may but we'd rather you didn't.

The move essentially means that the end is nigh for Adobe's Open Screen initiative and that a more native app approach will have to be taken - it hopes one with the Adobe AIR framework being used.

Adobe, therefore, is still involved in the IPTV movement - but Flash is nowhere near the major player that it thought it would have been

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's been obvious for a while that Adobe intended to transition to HTML 5 and other tools. I doubt that Apple's policy did anything but hurry things along.

Anyway, there are several threads on this announcement. I won't belabor it here.

Here is the main thread if you want to see what others said, or add your own opinion. Hold in mind that the moderators (and most members) are so tired of the Flash controversy that harsh, argumentative, and anti-this-or-that posts will end up with the thread closed.

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/53105-adobe-kills-flash-android-other-mobile-devices.html

Most reactions

Latest posts