What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java

Surfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't use streaming quotes on scottrade. Need latest Java. Does. Ipad use old java? Whats up. ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

fgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Java and iPad?..........no way!!!
Forget it, unless you are jailbreak.... (frash addon).

Reaction score
If you jail break to add flash, you will be sorely disappointed. There are many reasons to jb, but not to get flash.

However, you can try a few browsers, such as Puffin, and iSwifter and see, whether they so suit your needs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad supports javascript, but not Java.

There are a multitude of stock ticker apps in the App Store. You might find something you like there.

Reaction score
There are some sites I visit that state I need to enable my Java Script to use.
How do I enable it on Safari?
These are job sites that open a link from emails.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
CNBC RT will give you real time streaming quotes along with premarket and aftermarket real time quotes. However the charts are not real time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are some sites I visit that state I need to enable my Java Script to use.
How do I enable it on Safari?
These are job sites that open a link from emails.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

With the understanding Safari on the iPad may not work 100% with every javascript site (though most seem to work fine) the settings to enable it are in Settings >> Safari.

There is a big difference between Java, and javascript. The first requires a Java interpreter/engine on you competitor. You are more or less downloading a small program and then running it on the computer. Java by it's nature is able to access (or try to access) system resources on the computer. Apple has a policy against that kind of thing for the iPad. It's a security risk they've decided not to take.

Javascript is a set of instructions that are written into the webpage itself, and run entirely in the browser. What it can do is limited to what the browser has access to do. Much more secure, but much more limited.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fgg said:

Java has nothing to do with flash. I'm a java developer.

64GB 3G White iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
fgg said:

Java has nothing to do with flash. I'm a java developer.

64GB 3G White iPad

It's easy for people to get confused with the iPad. It supports neither, and the Flash enabled browsers usually support Java too.

But you are right, it is unfair to lump Java with Flash. Java's future prospects are brighter than Flash's.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. But java is not java script either. Safari supports java script. Java is for making applications that don't run in a web browser.

Flash is similar in it has two parts also. The flash plugin and the flash player that runs like an application in windows. I'm not sure if there is one for the Mac OS.
I don't expect most people to know the difference.

64GB 3G White iPad

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
With the understanding Safari on the iPad may not work 100% with every javascript site (though most seem to work fine) the settings to enable it are in Settings >> Safari.

There is a big difference between Java, and javascript. The first requires a Java interpreter/engine on you competitor. You are more or less downloading a small program and then running it on the computer. Java by it's nature is able to access (or try to access) system resources on the computer. Apple has a policy against that kind of thing for the iPad. It's a security risk they've decided not to take.

Javascript is a set of instructions that are written into the webpage itself, and run entirely in the browser. What it can do is limited to what the browser has access to do. Much more secure, but much more limited.

That clarifies things a bit, thanks for the explanation.

Most reactions