What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

java n flash

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I have been around forums long enough to know that most people don't even know they can search through existing posts and even if we do combine all the Flash threads into one post, someone will just start another one!

Lets not get in a time war... I go back into BB days when they were just dialup at 1200 baud. Back before browsers allowed images, much less embedded video. Names like Prodigy, Compuserv, AOL had their private networks seperate from the "internet."

People know they can search, but most think their question is "unique, never asked before" and just don't bother to search.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been around forums long enough to know that most people don't even know they can search through existing posts and even if we do combine all the Flash threads into one post, someone will just start another one!

Lets not get in a time war... I go back into BB days when they were just dialup at 1200 baud. Back before browsers allowed images, much less embedded video. Names like Prodigy, Compuserv, AOL had their private networks seperate from the "internet."

People know they can search, but most think their question is "unique, never asked before" and just don't bother to search.

1200 baud? I started at 300 baud!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1200 baud? I started at 300 baud!
I started using the original "Internet" before there was any such thing as personal computers. We call it amateur radio! And although no longer required, you used to have to know Morse code at the blazing speed of 5 words per minute just to get on the air!

The first digital mode was called RTTY (Radio TeleTYpe) and it is still extremely popular today. It runs at a blazing 45 baud and there is no error correction... so it truly is what you see is what you get... typos and all! In the early days (before computers), we would use actual teletype machines that were converted so that they could be used on radio instead of land lines and you stored your "files" on rolls of punched paper tape!

Beat that!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always wonder about people buying things, esp electronic "things", without knowing their capabilities or restrictions. I do know this is kicking a dead horse too LOL. But I wouldn't buy any computer, monitor, mp3 player, cell phone, etc without knowing what I was getting--or not. I don't fault any of those that would like flash, just that its hard for me to imagine that new purchasers aren't aware that the Ipad doesn't have it after being out since last April. If you are buying an Ipad it seems as though you would know to some degree what you plan to do with it/what you'll use it for--snd if sites you regularly visit are flash sites you are not going to be happy, or just skip them like I do until I boot one of my PCs.

Just saw all your references to BBs, etc. Count me in that group, before the WWW. Seems like ages ago doesn't it??

Diane

Last edited:

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flash Toggle

My apologies if I pressed someone's button. However, I really do not/did not know anything about the iPad and that was one of the reasons I joined this forum. I had read several threads and their heated discussions about no flash (along with no USB). However, I had not read anything about how to test which sites that I use and how they would be affected.

I have since found an add-in called "flash toggle" that allows one to toggle flash on and off. I can now visit sites and see which ones come up with a warning or just won't work.

Interesting to me is that the ipadforums.net site gives me a flash warning but allows me to continue. I would assume that folks using an iPad to post here would not have a problem.

However, the zinio.com site will not let me read my publications online because it needs flash. I know the iPad has a Zinio app which would allow one to read offline. One probably could not read their publications online with and iPad though. Given the limited storage on the iPad, this could be an issue when one is traveling and only has his/her iPad to use.

Regards,

Mike

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a surprise that Flash isn't supported. But after hearing/reading that it's no big deal, users have discovered their web experiences can be limited. Like it or not, flash is popular out there. It's a legitimate criticism.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies if I pressed someone's button. However, I really do not/did not know anything about the iPad and that was one of the reasons I joined this forum. I had read several threads and their heated discussions about no flash (along with no USB). However, I had not read anything about how to test which sites that I use and how they would be affected.

I have since found an add-in called "flash toggle" that allows one to toggle flash on and off. I can now visit sites and see which ones come up with a warning or just won't work.

Interesting to me is that the ipadforums.net site gives me a flash warning but allows me to continue. I would assume that folks using an iPad to post here would not have a problem.

However, the zinio.com site will not let me read my publications online because it needs flash. I know the iPad has a Zinio app which would allow one to read offline. One probably could not read their publications online with and iPad though. Given the limited storage on the iPad, this could be an issue when one is traveling and only has his/her iPad to use.

Regards,

Mike

I don't use it any more, but I did have 4 or 5 subscriptions on the Zinio App and they don't eat up much space at all.

Not sure why you are getting the Flash message for this site though maybe sme of the scrolling ads up top are Flash based? Not sure.

Most reactions