What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken ipad 2 crashes and i can't restore

hsilived

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is in the correct category. I have a brand-new ipad2 that has 4.33 installed. I jailbroke it last week using jailbreakme everything went well. This isn't our only iPad and i've never had any issues jailbreaking our other iPads.
So everything was fine the first night and I loaded the new iPad up using iTunes to mirror my other ipad2. I installed all my usual tweaks through cydia and I also installed an " orange" theme through cydia. While I was organizing the pages the iPad crashed and rebooted and It took a very long time to come back on. When it did come back on there were weird elements of my orange theme now visible that weren't visible before and all of the icons were now smaller. I've the same orange theme on my other ipad2 so these new elements really were new.

Anyway, now when I click on any apps the iPad crashes and restarts I can cycle through the pages but not click on any apps.

I did have a backup done i've tried restoring that backup but no change.

I don't have a saved shsh blob, so I can't restore it back to 4.33, and I don't want to goto 5.0 and lose my jailbreak.

Is there anyway of removing elements on an iPad from a computer (since I can't navigate anything on the iPad without it crashing). Is there any other method a re-jailbreaking an ipad2 because i cant open a browser window. Or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of things to try:

Do you have and can you access SBSettings? If yes, have you tried to get the iPad into Safe Mode so you can go back to Cydia and uninstall the last tweak you put on? Or all of them, so you can start over...

If no to SBSettings, or you can't get it to work, have you installed OpenSSH? If yes, there's a way to try an access the iPad from your computer. Try this:

Here’s how you can enable “Safe Mode” manually on the iPad: 1. Open MobileTerminal on the iPad (If you’re unable to do so proceed with Step#2, else skip to Step#3)
2. SSH to the iPad using WinSCP/PuTTy (Windows) or Terminal (Linux or Mac)
3. Login using the following default values (provided you haven’t changed them yourself): UserName: root PassWord: alpine
4. Once logged in, enter the following command
touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat
5. Respring the SpringBoard

That's really all I've got right now. Give either a try and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
H

hsilived

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Unfortunately I do not have either sbsettiings ( just hadn't got around to it yet) or openssh installed. I don't think it is looking very promising for me to remove whatever is screwing with the iPad. Is there any other method of puting it in safe mode? Like from iTunes?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Ron

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really, that's all I had - my best shot. And no, iTunes won't help (it is an Apple product, it doesn't want you jail broke either). Oh, did you try a simple reset? This one:

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Honestly, that's all I've got. Maybe someone else has another idea. Give it a bit more to see if anyone else can chime in to help. Otherwise, yes, I'm afraid you are looking at a restore.

Do me a favor tho? On your other jail broke iPads? Go now and install SBSettings. And, OpenSSH just in case (just remember to change both the regular and mobile passwords - cause OpenSSH is always on - the reason why it might have helped). I personally have both installed on my iPad plus I have an Activator setting to use my sleep button as a "put into Safe Mode" button. Cause, you never can tell.

I know, I know, barn door closed with horse gone. But, it'll at least give you some peace of mind with the others.

Sorry 'bout this. But - keep your fingers crossed. The rumblings in the JB community are sounding pretty good for iOS 5.0.1. Keep your fingers crossed it's soon...

Marilyn

Most reactions