What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JailBroke, Then Unjailbroke?

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy Gang -

I had JailBroken my Ipad 1, Then I wanted to see what os 5 looked like so i Unjailbroke and updated to 5.01. Now I want to go back to my Jailbreak - I do have TU on my CPU and it shows os 4.3 that i copied from my ipad before I unjailbroke.

How to I re-jailbreak? and is it worth doing now? or should I wait untill a new jailbreak comes out?

I used Green Poisoin to Jailbreak.

Thanks,
Tom

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To jailbreak ios 5.0.1, download the latest redsnow and jailbreak. But, the current jailbreak is tethered, meaning you have to use redsnow to boot your iPad every time your battery dies or you reboot. This can be very inconvenient at times, but a recent tweak in Cydia called SemiTether will allow your iPad to reboot without a computer if you are stuck on the road without a computer nearby. But, all jailbreak related tweaks and apps will not work.

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To jailbreak ios 5.0.1, download the latest redsnow and jailbreak. But, the current jailbreak is tethered, meaning you have to use redsnow to boot your iPad every time your battery dies or you reboot. This can be very inconvenient at times, but a recent tweak in Cydia called SemiTether will allow your iPad to reboot without a computer if you are stuck on the road without a computer nearby. But, all jailbreak related tweaks and apps will not work.

so the backups on T.U. are no help to me or do I use them with reds now?

thanks,
tom

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can go back to any version for which you have a saved SHSH blob. So, which blobs do you have - then we can [hopefully] point you to the correct tutorial/sticky to aid you in re-jailbreaking.

Marilyn

Ipad2_Gamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
You can go back to any version for which you have a saved SHSH blob. So, which blobs do you have - then we can [hopefully] point you to the correct tutorial/sticky to aid you in re-jailbreaking.

Marilyn

So is the newest redsnow or green useable on iPad 2 with 5.0.1?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

He said 4.3 in the OP. :)

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

SHSH blob 4.3 -

Also Dumb question, can I forever keep my ipad jailbroken on 4.3 or should the ipad be updated per jailbreak os?

Thanks,
Tom

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, since you have blobs for iOS 4.3 and you have an iPad1, you can restore that iOS 4.3. back onto your iPad. To do so, follow the steps in this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...815-how-downgrade-your-ipad-ios-firmware.html

After you've restored that version back onto your iPad1, then you can browse to here JailbreakMe 3.0 (using only the Safari browser on your iPad1) and follow the two-press steps to be jailbroken. Easy peasy!

Sorry for the earlier confusion - I missed the part where you asked how to downgrade/re-jailbreak...

Now, for your last question:

You can stay on that iOS (4.3) as long as you wish. That's kind of the "golden ticket" firmware, in that it's the last version (well, 4.3.x is) that the jail breaking community was able to do an UNtethered jailbreak. Means you don't have to worry about being near your computer if your iPad needs to power up or reboot.

However, for the iPad1, there is a tethered jailbreak, on both iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1. A lot of people (myself included) have moved up to that version for a number of reasons, mainly because we can :)D) and also because that's the direction apps and tweaks are headed. Most developers are making their apps (and Cydia tweaks) to be compatible with iOS 5, which does cause those on iOS 4.3.x some issues.

Only you can decide if you want to run a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1 or stay at iOS 4.3 untethered. The good thing is there is no pain for you if you decide to try the iOS 5.0.1 jail break. If you find you don't like it, or it's too much of a hassle to be tethered (disclaimer: I've had zero trouble with my tethered JB), then you can always go back to iOS 4.3.

Long story just a tad longer: You don't ever have to move to iOS 5. Or, you can wait, while on iOS 4.3., to see if an untethered jailbreak becomes available and not deal with any potential hassles with the tether. It's entirely your decision. I just hope I have helped - and not just muddied the waters. ;)

Good luck with your downgrade and do let us know how you get on (or have troubles).

Marilyn

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply Marilyn, Very Very helpful to me, after poking around the board some im going to try the tethered JB, My ipad is allways home so Booting from a CPU wont bother me any :)

The Cydia Apps tha I had purchased before I undid my jailbreak, Will they still be in Cydia as paid for by me?

Thanks Again,
Tom

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely! From my experience, it's just like the App Store - if you paid for an app, it's yours.

Once you get back to Cydia on your freshly re-jailbroken iPad, do a search for the tweaks you had before. Once it's fully loaded in the viewing, you will see a nice, green checkmark next to the words "Package Officially Purchased." Always a nice thing to see (especially if, in my case, you forgot you even bought the tweak! :D). Hope that reassures...

Good luck on the tethered jail break on 5.0.1. As I said, that's the one I'm running with zero problems. If you follow the excellent sticky written by our resident jail break expert, f4780y, to jailbreak an iPad1 using redsn0w, I don't think you'll have any troubles. If you do, however, do let us know.

Marilyn

P.S. To make it easier, the sticky I reference is here (and remember, always, to reboot by pointing redsn0w at iOS 5.0 first - even though you're jail breaking/running iOS 5.0.1): http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lbreak-ipad1-ios5-tethered-using-redsn0w.html

Most reactions

Latest posts