What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking???

Leslie2946

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to iPadForums and I just really need to know how to unjailbreak my iPad. It is the new iPad (iPad 3). I jailbroke it but I wasn't impressed so I want to unjailbreak it. But should I just update it to iOS 6 and that's it? Because I want to update it but I'm not sure on how to unjailbreak it and I REALLY don't want to lose anything on my iPad. I don't know what to do, and I need some help.. Anyone? A Million Thanks :*

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to iPad Forums. This is an online community where many members come together to discuss the iPad.
I would recommend subscribing to the iPF news feed
Apple iPad News
For your iPad FAQ, check this out.
iPad FAQ
Looking for iPad reviews? They're all right here.
iPad Reviews
For more off topic stuff:
Off-Topic
The rules-please read!
Forum Rules, Help and Info

Thanks for joining,
Goofy

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to iPadForums and I just really need to know how to unjailbreak my iPad. It is the new iPad (iPad 3). I jailbroke it but I wasn't impressed so I want to unjailbreak it. But should I just update it to iOS 6 and that's it? Because I want to update it but I'm not sure on how to unjailbreak it and I REALLY don't want to lose anything on my iPad. I don't know what to do, and I need some help.. Anyone? A Million Thanks :*

Yes, you may simply just update to IOS 6 and that will undo any jailbreak. Before doing so just make sure to do a backup via iTunes. Even though you are jailbroken you can still connect your iPad to iTunes and do a proper backup.

When doing your update you need to do the update via iTunes and NOT over the air. If you try it over the air it will not work and give you an error message.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean by air? And thank you!

Sorry, I should have elaborated more. On your iPad under settings-general there is an option for software update. Normally you can simply push that in order to do the update. If you are jailbroken the update process will not work, so you need to plug your ipad into itunes in order to do the update.

OP
L

Leslie2946

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I am about to update my iPad 3 to unjailbreak it, but do I need to uninstall all the packages, or should I just update it and they'll remove themselves?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't be updating your iPad, you'll be "restoring" it (as in, you'll have to press the "Restore" button in the main Summary tab in iTunes). When restoring, iTunes installs a fresh version of the iOS; it wipes the old iOS off.

In other words, yes, your jail broken tweaks will be gone. Your iPad will be sent back to brand ne*w, fresh out of the box state. Then, you can elect "restore from backup" when prompted to by iTunes. This will put all your data (to include apps) back on the iPad. The only thing that will be gone after that restore from backup is your jail break (and Cydia tweaks).

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
L

Leslie2946

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, that did clarify it a lot more for me, I restored it to brand new, then updated it to iOS 6, and finally restored it to backup. So glad Cydia is gone. A million thanks! :*

Most reactions

Latest posts