What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking now legal!

deaffob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a point, this is an international forum isn't it?

As such, I care nothing about your silly American laws.. ;) (we have plenty of our own without having to deal with another nations stupidity as well as ours!)

Not that I've jail broken any of my apple hardware, but its the principle of it!

Cydia has to follow those silly laws which means if it was illegal in America, you wouldn't have jb in the first place. Now you see why America's law is important to anyone who is jail breaking?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in Texas, when we buy something we OWN it. If I want to take my iPhone and jailbreak it, or run over it with my car, or use it as a hockey puck... it ain't nobodies business but my own.....

That's exactly how I see it. I've bought it, I can do what I want with it as long as I don't kill, theive or otherwise harm someone else with it. I really can't see how jaillbreaking can be seen as really causing measurable harm, although i'm sure Apple would try.

The thing that really confused me about that law is how you could technically be prosecuted for breaking copy protection designed to protect, as I understand it, intellectual copyright, without actually breaking that intellectual copyright that the protection is there for.... Thats like it being illegal to own a gun you could murder someone with, and being charged with murder, without actually murdering someone.... Actually, wait, sorry, that bit is my country ;)

All of these types of laws in almost every country (copyright.. Not gun!), are stacked completely against the consumer.

Deaffob, is Cydia based in the US? Surely they could just move elsewhere? Of course the US legal system could use bullyboy tactics to make another country prosecute, but I would imagine that would be pretty tough to do. It's hardly similar to Priate Bay to a layman is it?

Last edited:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a point, this is an international forum isn't it?

As such, I care nothing about your silly American laws.. ;) (we have plenty of our own without having to deal with another nations stupidity as well as ours!)

Not that I've jail broken any of my apple hardware, but its the principle of it!

You raised a very good point, not that I'm narrow minded (dont question my wife on this:D) I never looked at it from your point..

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please don't have me bombed for hating America.. See the military iPad users thread in general!

My original post was tongue in cheek, and was more about discussion regarding jailbreaking being discouraged on the forum. I can understand concerns regarding liability if the site is hosted in the US, but I thought the world had moved 98% of Internet hosting to countries outside the reach of US and EU legislators*.

*Not true, but bloody well should be!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can understand concerns regarding liability if the site is hosted in the US, but I thought the world had moved 98% of Internet hosting to countries outside the reach of US and EU legislators*.

*Not true, but bloody well should be!

:pMoving here in the Philippines is an option. As i've known, we still don't have a clear cyber law or those sort of things. Our lawmakers are having a difficult time persecuting those involved with "internet" crimes. And we could use the investment :p.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how is unlocking seen by the US? Since the unlock is done whist jail breaking, is it considered jail breaking as well?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how is unlocking seen by the US? Since the unlock is done whist jail breaking, is it considered jail breaking as well?

Apple still considers it jail breaking... They claim they will void warranties on jail broke devices. It seems to me, if you had a problem, you would restore to original OPP and Apple would never know...:confused:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the standard iPad warranty, 30 days? I know many people buy extended warranty from Apple and jail breaking could be a risk factor for those folks purchasing extended warranty from Apple but what about the third party warranty suppliers? Do they void your warranty if you jailbreak? I don't believe in extended warranties, but for thoes that do, you may want to consider where you purchase your extended iPad warranty from. :confused:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What is the standard iPad warranty, 30 days? I know many people buy extended warranty from Apple and jail breaking could be a risk factor for those folks purchasing extended warranty from Apple but what about the third party warranty suppliers? Do they void your warranty if you jailbreak? I don't believe in extended warranties, but for thoes that do, you may want to consider where you purchase your extended iPad warranty from. :confused:

warranty is 1 year, not 30 days.

jb voids apple and 3rd party warranties both.

Most reactions

Latest posts