Jailbreaking now legal!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by pego99, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    A deaffob said, JB was never illegal... this is just pointless government bureaucracy in action....

2. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    As a point, this is an international forum isn't it?

As such, I care nothing about your silly American laws.. ;) (we have plenty of our own without having to deal with another nations stupidity as well as ours!)

Not that I've jail broken any of my apple hardware, but its the principle of it!

3. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    lol... have to agree with you :p ..... Most of these pointless and silly things are on the books just as a jobs program for bureaucrats. As I said on another forum.... Here in Texas, when we buy something we OWN it. If I want to take my iPhone and jailbreak it, or run over it with my car, or use it as a hockey puck... it ain't nobodies business but my own..... and yes, I do have my iPhone JB'd... so I can tether it to my iPad and break the AT&T user agreement :D

4. cmalinowski

cmalinowski
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I believe that Apple was using the "it is illegal to break a lock on something that protects copyrighted material" to argue the legality of jailbreaking. Thus, in the eyes of some, that meant it was illegal.

To those of us who thought that was bunk, we never thought that jailbreaking was illegal.

But to say it was never illegal is a bit misleading. It wasn't illegal to "use your device however you want" which was (one of) the arguments for jailbreaking being legal. But if you throw that copyright stuff in there, it got into a hairy area is my guess.

Now, it's not hairy :)

Just my thoughts. I am in no way necessarily correct nor well informed. I just read stuff on the internet.

Chris

5. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    cmalinowski said "Just my thoughts. I am in no way necessarily correct nor well informed. I just read stuff on the internet.

Chris"

Hat's off to you my friend :) - you are a wise and honest soul :D

6. deaffob

deaffob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Cydia has to follow those silly laws which means if it was illegal in America, you wouldn't have jb in the first place. Now you see why America's law is important to anyone who is jail breaking?

7. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly how I see it. I've bought it, I can do what I want with it as long as I don't kill, theive or otherwise harm someone else with it. I really can't see how jaillbreaking can be seen as really causing measurable harm, although i'm sure Apple would try.

The thing that really confused me about that law is how you could technically be prosecuted for breaking copy protection designed to protect, as I understand it, intellectual copyright, without actually breaking that intellectual copyright that the protection is there for.... Thats like it being illegal to own a gun you could murder someone with, and being charged with murder, without actually murdering someone.... Actually, wait, sorry, that bit is my country ;)

All of these types of laws in almost every country (copyright.. Not gun!), are stacked completely against the consumer.

Deaffob, is Cydia based in the US? Surely they could just move elsewhere? Of course the US legal system could use bullyboy tactics to make another country prosecute, but I would imagine that would be pretty tough to do. It's hardly similar to Priate Bay to a layman is it?

#17 Prasius, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You raised a very good point, not that I'm narrow minded (dont question my wife on this:D) I never looked at it from your point..

9. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Please don't have me bombed for hating America.. See the military iPad users thread in general!

My original post was tongue in cheek, and was more about discussion regarding jailbreaking being discouraged on the forum. I can understand concerns regarding liability if the site is hosted in the US, but I thought the world had moved 98% of Internet hosting to countries outside the reach of US and EU legislators*.

*Not true, but bloody well should be!

10. j0yful

j0yful
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    :pMoving here in the Philippines is an option. As i've known, we still don't have a clear cyber law or those sort of things. Our lawmakers are having a difficult time persecuting those involved with "internet" crimes. And we could use the investment :p.