What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Methods for the iPad

p49k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a a iPad2 with 4.3.3 I need to go to 5.x or higher and then jailbreak. Sometime back I used Tiny Umbrealla and it saved shsh for 4.3.5,5.0.1 and 6.0.1

I would like to upgrade to at least 5.x so I can install some apps I cannot with 4.3.3 but still want to be able to jailbreak.
I have done a backup and a Transfer Purchases in iTunes.

I have read yes I can do it and no I cannot do this. I would like to hear form anyone who can confirm what the scoop is.

Thanks
p49k

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@p49k: As I told you in another thread, take a look at the first post in this thread. Look for the section for the iPad2 and read the section for the redsn0w jail break. In there are direction and instructions on how to upgrade your qualifying iPad2 to iOS 6.1.3 and then downgrading to iOS 5.0.1.

Again, you cannot go directly to iOS 5.9.1. Your only option is to follow the process as described.

Marilyn

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@p49k: As I told you in another thread, take a look at the first post in this thread. Look for the section for the iPad2 and read the section for the redsn0w jail break. In there are direction and instructions on how to upgrade your qualifying iPad2 to iOS 6.1.3 and then downgrading to iOS 5.0.1.

Again, you cannot go directly to iOS 5.9.1. Your only option is to follow the process as described.

Marilyn
Help had jb 5.1.1 yes old as am novice worked fine but updated on cydia as it said it needed it now have black screen with screen non responsive rebooted several times same itunes doesnt reconise it as have passcode that i cant disable is it bricked please bear in mind i am a newbie

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@noviceuk: Can you tell us what generation of iPad you have?

Then, what tweak or app were you updating that started this problem? In other words, what was being done to the iPad just before the issue began?

Once we have a few more details on your iPad and issue, I am sure we can help.

Marilyn

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@noviceuk: Can you tell us what generation of iPad you have?

Then, what tweak or app were you updating that started this problem? In other words, what was being done to the iPad just before the issue began?

Once we have a few more details on your iPad and issue, I am sure we can help.

Marilyn
Hi its ipad 2 ios 5.1.1 old i know but done what needed saw cydia had 12 updates to do maybe jumped the gun after it said restart springboard black screen can see slider bar etc on closer look there is a small crack running from side to side maybe possibly that is why no responding to touch cheers

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if an update to one of your Cydia tweaks messed up that "old" software on your iPad. We are now on iOS 8.1 (for jailbreak purposes) and I'm afraid that most of the developers have left iOS 5.1.1 far behind. That's probably why doing the updates on Cydia messed up your iPad...

I believe your best bet is to upgrade that iPad 2 to iOS 8.x. If you upgrade it right now, using the manual method, you can put iOS 8.1 on it, which is jailbreakable.

However, if you no longer wish to have the iPad jailbroken, you can use iTunes and upgrade it to iOS 8.1.1 which is the most current iOS that Apple is signing. The only thing is, iOS 8.1.1 is not jailbreakable.

Whichever way you decide to go, I am sure we can help you get that iPad 2 up and running.

Marilyn

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds as if an update to one of your Cydia tweaks messed up that "old" software on your iPad. We are now on iOS 8.1 (for jailbreak purposes) and I'm afraid that most of the developers have left iOS 5.1.1 far behind. That's probably why doing the updates on Cydia messed up your iPad...

I believe your best bet is to upgrade that iPad 2 to iOS 8.x. If you upgrade it right now, using the manual method, you can put iOS 8.1 on it, which is jailbreakable.

However, if you no longer wish to have the iPad jailbroken, you can use iTunes and upgrade it to iOS 8.1.1 which is the most current iOS that Apple is signing. The only thing is, iOS 8.1.1 is not jailbreakable.

Whichever way you decide to go, I am sure we can help you get that iPad 2 up and running.

Marilyn
When on itunes cant register device.due.to passcode please disable but not.responding to touch aftwerr several reboots has small padlock top screen saying exit safe mode if that helps

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When on itunes cant register device.due.to passcode please disable but not.responding to touch aftwerr several reboots has small padlock top screen saying exit safe mode if that helps

Try turning it onto a different orientation i.e. portrait or landscape and see if the orientation shift makes a difference to the touch as they may be dead portions of the screen/

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try turning it onto a different orientation i.e. portrait or landscape and see if the orientation shift makes a difference to the touch as they may be dead portions of the screen/
Can only.turn it round but same thing passcode box not.responding black screen maybe thinking it might be the.small crack on screen frustrated as feck thanks all

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if a hard reset resolves it assuming it's a software issue. Otherwise you'd need to get the screen fix, possibly a digitizer problem.

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See if a hard reset resolves it assuming it's a software issue. Otherwise you'd need to get the screen fix, possibly a digitizer problem.
Thinking that what is a hard reset iss that through itunes as itunes doesnt reconize as passcode is on

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thinking that what is a hard reset iss that through itunes as itunes doesnt reconize as passcode is on

A hard reset is where you press and hold the power and home buttoms together until you see the Apple logo on your screen. It doesn't require iTunes at all and usually solves most software problems assuming the lack of touch recognition is a software issue.

If you see a white flash (or if you heard the shutter sound), you've just taken a screen capture and mistimed it slightly. Just release both buttons and retry. It sometimes takes a few go-at to get it down.

Honestly I believe it's a software issue, as I've actually dealt with iPads that have a completely shattered front screen held together by clear masking tape with chunks of the screen missing from it.

noviceuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok done that numerous times it came on thought it was damage on screen took for screen repair to a shop was phoned and told put.4 diffrent screens on and still black screen think the.problem is cydia when i updated it as i was running 5.1.1 old yes but done what.i needed so do you all think the.ipad is gubbed or life in it as i can see slider bar etc jjust screen not responding to touch itunes doesnt reconise it.as it has passcode but cant disable due to black screen ps am newbie thanks.all

Most reactions

Latest posts