What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Methods for the iPad

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
sorry probably been asked before but in your opinion what is this best method to jailbreak 4.3.1, redsnow or snowbreeze?? I want to jailbreak the ipad and the iphone 4.

thanks

a sidenote: does this stop internet tethering on ipad? (I tether my ipad to my iphone)

Does the first post (towards the end) not help you make that decision yourself? Sounds like redsn0w to me.

And no, the jailbreak does not prevent any services, such as tethering, AFAIK. It is an enabler, rather than a disabler :)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah didn't see that bit! Ok I'll use redsnow, so a quick recap (haven't done it in a while) backup shsh blobs via umbrella, backup apps using appbackup, backup Cydia using aptbackup (or pgkbackup) then install iOS 4.3.1, then jailbreak?

Cheers

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah didn't see that bit! Ok I'll use redsnow, so a quick recap (haven't done it in a while) backup shsh blobs via umbrella, backup apps using appbackup, backup Cydia using aptbackup (or pgkbackup) then install iOS 4.3.1, then jailbreak?

Cheers

Sounds like a plan.... Don't forget to backup and sync in iTunes as well, assuming you want to restore your normal Apps and settings also.

riv3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cheers

Are there any guides to the steps above? I have a jailbroken 16GB WiFi iPad(1st Gen) on iOS 3.2.2 using limera1n, and would like to keep all my data (settings, apps, app data etc) after upgrading it and jailbreaking on a newer version of iOS. (ie 4.3.1 .. doesnt need to be the newest version).

Thanks

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
riv3r said:
Are there any guides to the steps above? I have a jailbroken 16GB WiFi iPad(1st Gen) on iOS 3.2.2 using limera1n, and would like to keep all my data (settings, apps, app data etc) after upgrading it and jailbreaking on a newer version of iOS. (ie 4.3.1 .. doesnt need to be the newest version).

Thanks

We dont have a guide to pkgbackup yet, but it's on my list to do! ;)
Their website has some useful information (google pkgbackup)

My only word of caution in what you are trying to do is if you have a lot of Cydia apps and tweaks it is very likely that you will run into compatibility issues betweem 3.x and 4.x which pkgbackup can't solve for you.
Thats not pkgbackups fault, its the fault of the old apps you have not having well defined dependencies.
You may end up restoring apps which break on 4.3.1 can cause far more trouble than you expect (maybe even resulting in having to restore IOS). When doing such a significant upgrade I firmly believe it s best to bite the bullet and start your jailbreak from scratch. I use good old pen and paper and just list out everything I want to keep, then reinstall in a controlled manner once I have a fresh setup.
Pkgbackup is fantastic for backup and restore on the same major OS version, e.g. Going 4.2.1 to 4.3.1, but can be more challenging going 3.x to 4.x

YMMV of course.

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
When doing such a significant upgrade I firmly believe it s best to bite the bullet and start your jailbreak from scratch. I use good old pen and paper and just list out everything I want to keep, then reinstall in a controlled manner once I have a fresh setup.
I use screenshots to do this instead of writing down everything :-D

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y,

In the first post you edited it to indicate there was a tethered JB for 4.3.2 from the Dev-Team folks. I hunted on their site but did not see any mention of that. Am I just missing the link on their web site?

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sgtcasey said:
f4780y,

In the first post you edited it to indicate there was a tethered JB for 4.3.2 from the Dev-Team folks. I hunted on their site but did not see any mention of that. Am I just missing the link on their web site?

Dave

The current redsn0w will jailbreak 4.3.2 if you point it at the 4.3.1 IPSW. At your own risk though!
There is a bundle for pwnage kicking about the webz to do the same thing too.
BOTH TETHERED THOUGH!
Expect the untethered in a week or so...

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
The current redsn0w will jailbreak 4.3.2 if you point it at the 4.3.1 IPSW. At your own risk though!
There is a bundle for pwnage kicking about the webz to do the same thing too.
BOTH TETHERED THOUGH!
Expect the untethered in a week or so...

Okay, thanks! I will just wait for the untethered then. :)

Dave

riv3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you f4780y for the info. What if i just want full data of apps like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope ? Im guessing there would be no problem in backing them up and restoring them in the jailbroken iOS4.x.x as these games are rather famous and has constant updates? Btw what is the latest untethered jailbreak version available now?(iPad 1st gen).

Looking forward to your guide :)

Thanks once again.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
riv3r said:
Thank you f4780y for the info. What if i just want full data of apps like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope ? Im guessing there would be no problem in backing them up and restoring them in the jailbroken iOS4.x.x as these games are rather famous and has constant updates? Btw what is the latest untethered jailbreak version available now?(iPad 1st gen).

Looking forward to your guide :)

Thanks once again.

HaHa! It's got nothing to do with them being famous or having constant updates of course! That one made me chuckle!
No, all your Applications downloaded from the App Store and their saved data are backed up (and optionally restored) through iTunes whether you are jailbroken or not. When you plug a newly restored iPad into iTunes it will ask you if you want to restore it from a previous backup. If you say yes, all your apps and data will be syncronsised back onto the iPad. Angry Bids & Cut The Rope high-scores and all!

The thing you need to take care of are the Cydia (jailbreak) apps. If you only have a limited number of these you might just like to take a note of them and reinstall & set them up again "manually" once you have jailbroken the updated firmware. Personally I like this approach if I am doing a major firmware upgrade, e.g. 3.2.2. to 4.2.1. It helps avoid some potential compatibility problems.

Alternatively, you can use a solution such as PkgBackup (Cydia) to help you. It backs up a list of your Cydia apps, settings, repositories, and then lets you restore them in one operation on a freshly jailbroken device. I use this solution whenever I am doing a minor firmware upgrade. e.g. 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 because I am pretty sure I have a known good working configuration.

Lastly, the latest untethered jailbreak should always be listed in the Jailbreaking Methods sticky, and if you check that just now it will say 4.3.1.

Hope that helps.

desgho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
sorry probably been asked before but in your opinion what is this best method to jailbreak 4.3.1, redsnow or snowbreeze?? I want to jailbreak the ipad and the iphone 4.

thanks

a sidenote: does this stop internet tethering on ipad? (I tether my ipad to my iphone)

Does the first post (towards the end) not help you make that decision yourself? Sounds like redsn0w to me.

And no, the jailbreak does not prevent any services, such as tethering, AFAIK. It is an enabler, rather than a disabler :)

Hi Mod,

just wish to check if previously JB-ed with greenpoison on 4.2.1, can i JB with redsnow to upgrade to 4.3.1? I tried it 3 times and i still get it to work.

I managed to get it to the black screen with scrolling words on the ipad. I'm pretty sure i was in DFU mode but everytime it shows the silver apple logo and when i check the settings, it is still in 4.2.1 IOS.

am i missing anything?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
4.3.3 updates are out, so main post has been updated to reflect this...

Most reactions