What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking iPad 2 Wifi/manually installing iOS

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum here.
I recently inherited an Ipad 2 Wifi(Rev. A I think). I want to be able to use it, of course, but I need the previous owner's Apple ID to be able to use it. I don't have it, and can't get it, so wanted to jailbreak it. However, when I restored it when I first got it, it updated to iOS 8. Since there is no jailbreak yet for iOS 8, I tried downgrading to a previous version with Itunes, but Apple stopped this a few days ago....
My question is, can I install an old version of iOS(6 or 7 maybe) manually without iTunes? Then maybe I can jailbreak the old version?
Thanks in advance, this device is like a brick to me atm :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that you'll not be able to activate the iPad without the Apple ID and password of the original owner.

Jailbreaking cannot bypass this requirement. In fact, the iPad would have to be activated before you could hope to jailbreak it. It's also impossible to downgrade to an earlier iOS version once Apple has stopped signing it, as the last part of the process is an online verification with Apple servers. At this point, an unsigned iOS version would not be verified and couldn't be installed.

Last edited:

Most reactions