What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Explained

sundance2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, sorry to repeat myself ....... But I would rather be safe than sorry. Now that a update is out that can wipe out the JB, when I sync I will get an option to up date or not, is that correct?

dennism220

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did my first JailBreak last week. When you perform an OS update and re-Jailbreak, do you have to reconfigure all your apps in the folders they were organized in? It takes some time to do that and I'm hoping there is a way to automate that process. I read about pkgbackup, but if I understand correctly that is just for backing up Cydia apps.

Thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sundance2011 said:
OK, sorry to repeat myself ....... But I would rather be safe than sorry. Now that a update is out that can wipe out the JB, when I sync I will get an option to up date or not, is that correct?

When you connect the iPad to iTunes, yes. Just make sure you choose to ignore it...

pheonix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You mentioned that even if you have a hardware fault, there are some simple logical steps you can take to shield the jailbroken status of your device from Apple.

If my device is jailbroke and getting a hardware error upon (error 28) on attempted restores (far as I can tell it is bricked) but I am still under warranty, what steps can I take to prevent them from discovering that my device was jailbroke?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pheonix said:
You mentioned that even if you have a hardware fault, there are some simple logical steps you can take to shield the jailbroken status of your device from Apple.

If my device is jailbroke and getting a hardware error upon (error 28) on attempted restores (far as I can tell it is bricked) but I am still under warranty, what steps can I take to prevent them from discovering that my device was jailbroke?

First of all, are you restoring from DFU Mode? You MUST do this if you are jailbroken. Anything else will always result in an error. Check the instruction in my sig or the sticky in this section to get into DFU mode.
A typical hardware problem would either be a broken button or a broken dock connector. It doesn't sound to me like you have any of these hardware problems.

However, if you are convinced that you cant get that to work, go to settings > general > reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This is not as safe as doing a DFU restore, but it will render you device inoperable until someone performs one on it.

You didn't mention why you were returning it to Apple, but if they try and restore it for you using DFU and it succeeds, they may just give it back to you, so make sure you don't waste your own time by not trying a DFU mode restore...

Last edited:

pheonix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose I should elaborate a little bit.

I am wanting to return my device to apple because the other day it crashed and now refuses to reboot. Instead I am stuck at the restore screen with no way to restore. As far as I can tell, the device is "bricked".

After doing some reading and playing around, I managed to get around the restore and forced the idevice to reboot only to have it crash back to the restore screen partly into rebooting (attempted this multiple times). I cannot reformat it either since I either get error 28 or error 8 (I couldn't find much information about these problems but the general consensus is that the errors were hardware related (flash rom or battery related) and the work around for most people was purely coincidental). I have tried reformatting in DFU mode as well as PWND DFU mode but the same error(s) occur every time. I have tried re-jailbreaking as some suggested this might fix my error but to no avail.. Also, since I cannot turn the device on, I cannot get into the settings to reset everything as you suggested.

Basically, based on people’s experiences, there are no real fixes to the errors I am getting and the general solution was to send the device in for repair. With no way to turn on the device and no way to reformat it, is there any way to protect myself and keep apple from realizing the device was jailbroken? Or will they even check / be able to tell?

Thanks again

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if it bombs out of a DFU restore, then there is no way to restore it, and if it is a flash memory problem then that is a hardware fault. All you can do is send it back. No way to tell how forensic their tests would be, but I would have thought it was unlikely they would even check. Your stuck anyway, so just send it back... You don't have any alternatives, and what's the worst that can happen?

charleston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, done my first Jailbreak after hesitated for like 2 months or so. Just worry that something might gone wrong..but done IT PERFECTLY :D :D

Just to shed some light, I did it here

pczonenow.com/snowbreeze-2-7-to-jailbreak-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-on-ios-4-3-3

And gosh the process was frightening lol :D

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

dlcrn1128

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak

I tried to jailbreak my iPad with Pwnage tool. everything went fine until I got to the restore part on iTunes. I got a message saying they could not verify the restore with Apple and would not let me use the firmware file that I had saved from pwnage. Thoughts?
since my ipad is one of the original iPads, I figure I have nothing to lose by jailbreaking. I will replace it soon anyway. I am thinking of not replacing with an iPad but with something that does flash!
Diana

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to jailbreak my iPad with Pwnage tool. everything went fine until I got to the restore part on iTunes. I got a message saying they could not verify the restore with Apple and would not let me use the firmware file that I had saved from pwnage. Thoughts?
since my ipad is one of the original iPads, I figure I have nothing to lose by jailbreaking. I will replace it soon anyway. I am thinking of not replacing with an iPad but with something that does flash!
Diana

You do know that there is not a JB for iPad2, right?

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diana

You do know that there is not a JB for iPad2, right?

Um. She specifically states that she has an original iPad.

Diana, I'm not sure at this point it's with changing your mind, but most of the tablets out there that do flash do it poorly. So that's fine , but know what you're getting into.

As for the jailbreak, If you want to do it, needs a lot more troubleshooting. Did you use tinyumbrella when you were doing the jb?

There is no reason you can't get a jailbreak to work, none.

Rjd137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.christmasonmanhattan.com
the only thing id like to be able to do is to have the use of flash on my ipad. is they a app for that? will I be able to use flash once i jb? or is this something that just cant be done on an ipad?

Most reactions

Latest posts