What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking Explained

FruityTech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens to jailnroken apps after unjailbreak

Say I JB my iPad mini and install some JB apps like iFile and iKeywi. I would like to know what happens to them in the event I update the firmware and am no longer jail broken. Do those apps disappear? Do they stay there? Do they stay there but aren't usable? Do they stay there but with limited usability (meaning say iFile would work but would be limited to only browsing its own data like a regular non-JB app)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Say I JB my iPad mini and install some JB apps like iFile and iKeywi. I would like to know what happens to them in the event I update the firmware and am no longer jail broken. Do those apps disappear? Do they stay there? Do they stay there but aren't usable? Do they stay there but with limited usability (meaning say iFile would work but would be limited to only browsing its own data like a regular non-JB app)?

If you have purchase and free jailbreak apps and tweaks, they're removed from your iPad when the jailbreak is removed, however they are still there, waiting for you to re-download when you jailbreak again. Just like in iTunes, a paid jailbroken app can be re-downloaded again for free.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Just remember, you cannot use the UPDATE function on a JB device. You can only RESTORE, which will always remove everything. As already mentioned, if you JB again in the future you can reinstall all the paid tweaks you own via Cydia.

ceru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
Lets say I have purchased an app from appstore then I jailbreak my ipad mini, will I be able to use my previously purchased app on jailbroken device?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Lets say I have purchased an app from appstore then I jailbreak my ipad mini, will I be able to use my previously purchased app on jailbroken device?

All apps purchased from the AppStore can be used on a jailbroken iPad.

gqsmooth1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
iPad Noob. Why jailbreak? For fun? I don't see a point except to maybe screw it up enough to brick your device. Please advise the benefits and if there is a ota JB available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad Noob. Why jailbreak? For fun? I don't see a point except to maybe screw it up enough to brick your device. Please advise the benefits and if there is a ota JB available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you mess with something that you're not knowledgeable of, trying too hard to save space, or trying too hard to do something that's not meant to do so, you will not brick your device. The only cases where your device is susceptible to bricks is if you're installing Siri ports, modifying hardware improperly or using non-OEM/non-certified/untested hardware, or force modifying any software without either the proper exploits if applicable or if the hardware is not meant to run a specific software component such as baseband modification.

Common misconception is that "Jailbreak = Brick". If you improperly manage your device, or if you force software onto your device that is not compatible with your device.

In terms of OTA jailbreaking, if you mean directly through a browser, no. Safari Mobile.app has been patched over and over again to get rid of any Safari/import vulnerabilities that allowed for "OTA" jailbreaks like JailbreakMe for legacy iOS's. If you mean jailbreak for OTA updated devices, depending on iOS, OTA firmware updates do not matter. With Evasi0n7, @Evad3rs have more than likely abandoned the resolution of fixing the OTA issue with Evasi0n7 and OTA updated devices.

Thest001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How are the pirated applications sent if its a jail-break device ... i mean is there something equivalent to the exe file or something ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How are the pirated applications sent if its a jail-break device ... i mean is there something equivalent to the exe file or something ?

We don't answer questions concerning piracy, even if it's something so innocuous as asking how pirated applications are sent.

This forum does not condone or help pirates. Not only is piracy, and any discussion thereof, against this forum's rules, it's theft and thus illegal.

So, as a general rule - talking about piracy is just not done here at iPad Forums.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts