What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking an ipad-mini-retina

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got mine and want some help. I've done this before with other equipment so I am not totally green, but I am looking for the "best" link for info such as downloads, installation steps, possible pitfalls and how to fix them. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got mine and want some help. I've done this before with other equipment so I am not totally green, but I am looking for the "best" link for info such as downloads, installation steps, possible pitfalls and how to fix them. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Essentially, if you are on iOS 7.0 to 7.0.6, just follow the steps in this link and you'll be set:

http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=117607

Oh, and ignore the title as iOS 7.0.6 can also be jail broken.

The only pitfall I can tell you is that sometimes the jail break tool does not work on devices that have the iOS installed from the factory or have been updated via Apple's over-the-air method. But, you'll never know until you try it. And there is no harm in trying...

If the iPad is already on iOS 7.1, then I'm afraid there is no jail break for it.

And, IMNSHO opinion, you can get some of the best tips and pointers on jailbreaking in general if you browse around this hacking section. If you can't find an answer, just ask. We're a pretty friendly bunch. :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn...
I see that my OS is 7.1. Is it possible (and "safe") to downgrade to 7.0 so I can use the Evasi0n7 jailbreak method?

Short Answer: Unfortunately no.

Long winded answer: Unfortunately not, at least not publicly speaking. Downgrading requires an exploit to perform, preferably a hardware exploit (like LimeRa1n on pre-A5 devices) or a boot sequence exploit (iBoot exploit that @ih8sn0w is currently holding onto). Because Apple does not support custom IPSW installation (which is what downgrading really is), you need a way to modify the device's check of the iOS's integrity, which it does every time you boot up. This goes a little more in-depth in explaining the mechanics of it if you're interested in a nice wall of text

Most reactions

Latest posts