What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak surviving the firmware upgrade?

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been reading that an iPad firmware upgrade is imminent (sometime in November).

My iPad is jailbroken and I have installed a few applications through Cydia and *******.

Is there a way in which I will be able to upgrade my firmware (I want to) without causing any problems (ie. maintaining all my applications and the jailbreak status)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely not. You will have to jailbreak again when it is updated.

Right now there is a way to jailbreak 4.2 but only on iOS devices that ran 4.1--so that leaves the iPad out. Doesn't matter anyway since most all cydia apps don't work on 4.2.

So you would have to wait for a proper iPad 4.2 jaibreak and possibly the updating of any jailbreak apps to work with 4.2 Last I checked even Cydia itself didn't work on 4.2.

Michael

OP
R

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Michael!

dcv1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
your jailbreak status would be remove when you upgrade.
so you have to re-jailbreak it using that firmware.
that is why, you have to wait for the current firmware's jailbreak
before doing any upgarde.

OP
R

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for asking this question, but I am a newbie!
When I do upgrade to 4.2 (ie. when thereis a jailbreak available) will I have all my current apps and documents intact? Even those I got from Cydia? Or will I have to install all of it again after jailbreaking the iPad again?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will have to reinstall those apps. However there are a few Cydia apps whose entire purpose is to make that job easier. I use pkgbackup... so I run that before jailbreaking to record/backup all of my apps. After jailbreaking I install pkgbackup first and use it to bring back my other cydia apps.

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They need to just release the damn thing already! I liked 4.2 normal way better than 3.2 jb.

OP
R

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I justplugged in my iPad to my laptop (after ages) and as expected it took a while to sync. But at the end of it I navigated to the "Apps" folder on my iPad through iTunes and checked the "Sync Apps" option, and then clicked "apply". iTunes then asked me if I really want to sync apps because it would amount to deleting 10 apps including "Dictionary" (an app I recently installed on my iPad). So I eventually couldn't sync my iPad apps!

Any clue why this is happening?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly the way iTunes works is if you didnt set syncing the first time you plugged it in you basically have to start over if you want to start syncing....its pretty dumb like that.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to Apple's definition of "sync". Most people define syncing as a two-way operation but it doesn't work that way in Appleland.

If you want to backup your applications from your iPad to your PC, don't use the sync function. Right click on your device in the Itunes tree and select "transfer purchases". This will transfer your purchased apps to your computer. You can then drag those apps back to your device in the future. This dos not work with Cydia apps however.

OP
R

Rishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Just managed to sync my apps from the iPad to my PC!

Sorash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbreak my iPad but when I connected to iTunes it said next update will be tomorrow. Does this mean I don't going to hv a jailbreak iPad anymore n wat I need to do tomorrow. I'm afraid to connect it to iTunes now. Wah to do plz.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is just the date iTunes is going to check to see if an update is available. It in no way means there will be one... although there could be since in this case we are now one week into the GM release--so public release could be any day now.

Still, you don't have to update. Just tell it not to update and then check the box to not ask again. Better yet have it download the update but not install it. Then you'll be ready to update as soon as a jailbreak is released.

Finally be SURE you save your 3.2.2 blobs using TinyUmbrella or Cydia. Once 4.2 is out it won't be long before Apple stops signing 3.2.2.... which means if your shsh blobs have not been saved you won't be able to go back to 3.2.2. This could be an issue if you accidentally upgrade to 4.2 before a jailbreak is out, or find that the jailbreak apps you need most are not ready for 4.2 yet and you want to go back to 3.2.2.

Michael

Most reactions