What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak now, or wait till iOS4 for iPad?

the_advisor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad jailbroken for about a month now and it honestly has not done a lot for me. Little things like SBSettings are nice to have but really do not add that much value to risk fluid device operation. I am actually going to unjailbreak so I can get some battery efficiency back and not have to worry about the thing anymore.

Explicit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is a great idea for one reason only and this is backgrounder. Categories is nice to but unfortunlay the devs have not upgraded to widescreen yet! But that's why you get full force to allow all apps to fit in the iPad screen. Lol see a pattern. I would definitely JB now:)

OP
S

shodka8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS4 has no jailbreak available, therefore you can't try and then restore if you have already updated.

If you have iPhone 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 then jailbreaks are available, and so far as I know, when you select restore in iTunes it restores your phone to the OS present in your last backup.

If I am wrong, could someone please confirm, but I don't think iTunes forces you upgrade to iOS4 if you do a restore.

I believe there already is a jb for iOS4. Haven't done it myself, but waiting to see it more mainstream before i jump in on my 3GS.

As for 3.1.2 it is jb-able with blackra1n
and 3.1.3 with spirit

You can restore your iPhone with iTunes after you make changes to the changelog on the iTunes you are using to restore. You will also have to have downloaded the OS version package you want to restore back to. When restoring, hold down the shift key while clicking on the restore button in iTunes and a browser window pops up, you locate your OS restore package (3.1.2 or 3.1.3) and start install.

If you simply choose restore, Apple forces you to latest OS. They don't sign certificates for previous OS versions. So unless you make changed to iTunes changelog, you won't be able to restore.

Lots of video on how to do this on the net. Google it.

Whoa whoa whoa! You are saying I can upgrade to a JB iOS4 from a Blackra1n JB 3.1.2 on my iPhone 3G?

I thought this was not out yet as per the official Blackra1n website?

Please clarify, thanks!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's funny, I thought both Flash and Multitasking would be serious drawbacks to the iPad experience but now I'm find I'm actually indifferent.
The current iPad does what it does well and ok it won't make me coffee I'm more than satisfied with it.
In art what you leave out is just as important as what you put in. Industrial design is no different.

Most reactions

Latest posts