What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak iPad 4 7.1.1 error?

krs360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I've tried to jailbreak my iPad 4 ios 7.1.1 using pangu.

It gets about 90% of the way through and then the app gives ???. in red and it stops working. Obviously I have no idea of the error message - I've followed the tutorial exactly and tried a number of times.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this on iPad 4 7.1.1?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

I just saw another member posting the same problem, who tried the whole process again and noticed that he had to enter a PIN, which he hadn't done before. He got it working afterwards. Maybe this will help in your case as well.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If what Johanna says doesn't work, also try disabling the auto lock feature. I've managed to get mine working with both auto lock on and a PIN established, but I kept my screen from going to sleep, which essentially is the same as turning off auto lock. I'll add that to the tutorial.

OP
krs360

krs360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

Turned off auto lock (set to never) and also turned off the passcode.

It does about 60% of it, reboots the iPad and when it boots up it just beings up the normal slide to unlock screen (this is the bit where it normally does preparing the operating system I think) and then it gives me that error after about 2/3 minutes - see the image attached.

Attachments

• ipad.JPG
    ipad.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 445

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Backup your device and restore it afresh. I had the same issue when I ran it for my coworker, I messed up at the half way point and it timed out because I didn't realize that there was an app on the springboard (we don't have simplified Chinese language packs or I would have read it), and afterwards, the procedure would always give me errors regardless of whether I did a hard reset or re-ran the utility. A fresh restore fixed it however.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I experienced the same issue yesterday when I tried it. It ended up in those question marks (I don't have the Chinese fonts installed). I repeated the procedure, everything seemed pretty much the same, including the ending with the question marks. Except that this time Cydia was installed on the iPad. The PanGu icon was still there until I disconnected the USB cable.
Maybe just the whole process wasn't finished.
I also noticed the procedure removed all my 3 profiles/certificates, as well as added a (provisioning) profile "Hefeibofang". (Then again, maybe this bit was supposed to be done / cleaned up in the final stage.)
In the end I decided to restore the device and wait for a couple of days before I do anything JB-wise again there (I hear 7.1.2 is in the pipeline).

(P.S.: This thread should probably be merged with the official PanGu thread.)

OP
krs360

krs360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The restore and new iPad seemed to work so thank you for that suggestion!

Does the JB not remove the carrier lock or is there something else that I need to do? It's locked to Vodafone at present but my services are with Three.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The restore and new iPad seemed to work so thank you for that suggestion!

Does the JB not remove the carrier lock or is there something else that I need to do? It's locked to Vodafone at present but my services are with Three.

AFAIK, cellular iPads are all "unlocked". You're not tied to a specific carrier per say, but you are tied to a specific cellular frequency. If your cellular iPad is a world model (often times considered "CDMA" though the term should be used extremely loosely and practically dangling on a microfiber), then your device is pretty much compatible with any and all carriers that utilizes those bands/LTE frequencies and such. The "world" or "CDMA" models have a larger list of of frequency compatibility, and are usually preferred/recommended when buying a cellular iPad so you won't have to worry about frequency incompatibility though 99% of carriers worldwide (including prepaid or pay as you go) are GSM carriers, so a GSM iPad works out if you don't plan on visiting a country/state/province/region where a CDMA network is predominant. But overall, the more recent iPads are world models.

You can check out which band model your device is (GSM or CDMA) here by comparing the model number if applicable below

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5452

TL;DR: iPads come unlocked always, just depends on whether the carrier frequency is compatible or not.

OP
krs360

krs360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's locked to Vodafone, I have confirmed with Apple.

Apple have advised that I need to speak to VF in order to get it unlocked as it's at their discretion. Any other options?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Assuming the device is actually locked, you'd have to pay a premium towards Vodafone. Slip in another carrier's tablet SIM and it should work after you do the setup.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not unusual for iPad's to be locked in the UK when bought direct from a carrier such as Vodafone, or via a highstreet phone shop. I have one locked to Orange / EE.

krs360 - You no doubt got the iPad significantly cheaper than retail in return for the commitment to the carrier contract. The standard policy is never to unlock them until the full term of the contract is up, which in normally 24 months. I know this from experience!
There are currently no way to sim unlock a modern iPad, regardless of jailbreaking, so you are pretty much stuck. Sorry :(

Most reactions