What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak iPad 3 stuck in recovery mode from trying to upgrade to IOS 6 without DFU..

MStyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 is stuck in recovery mode and can't restore with iTunes. Today I try to upgrade to IOS 6 with my jailbreak iPad 3 without reading the instructions carefully, I forget to set my iPad 3 in DFU mode. And now, iTunes only want me to restore my iPad 3 but everytime I try to restore my iPad 3, Its alway show error "The iPad "iPad" could not restored. An unknown error occurred 3194.".

Can anyone help me? I don't want to buy new one...

Thank you.

rahul247rocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Buddy,
Simply download Tiny URL. Then run the TSS Servers and then select FIX Recovery. It's the easiest way to solve the issue. Also from next time make sure that you save the SHSH Blobs before doing any tweaking. I hope this helps. If you are facing any problem feel free to ask me.

OP
M

MStyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
M

MStyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Buddy,
Simply download Tiny URL. Then run the TSS Servers and then select FIX Recovery. It's the easiest way to solve the issue. Also from next time make sure that you save the SHSH Blobs before doing any tweaking. I hope this helps. If you are facing any problem feel free to ask me.

Yes, I download Tiny URL v.6.00.01. In left side of Tiny URL, it shows "Recovery Devices" and "Recent Devices". Under "Recovery Devices", its come up with a number like "214502093". And under "Recent Devices", it come up with the name of my iPad 3. When I select "214502093" I can choose only "Exit Recovery", I can't click "Enter Recovery" and "Fix Recovery". When I click "Exit Recovery", my iPad 3 come up with Apple logo and then come back as recovery mode. Also, when I click "Start TSS Server", Nothing happen. Then I try to select my iPad 3 under "Recent Devices". The only button I can click are "Save SHSH" and "Start TSS Server". I click "Start TSS Server" and nothing happen too.

I don't know which part I do wrong or not, but Thank for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't use Tiny Umbrella (or shouldn't be). Your iPad is in Recovery mode and must be connected to iTunes so it can be restored to iOS 6. There is no other iOS that can be installed on that iPad, so Tiny Umbrella is of no use to you.

The only reason you are to use Tiny Umbrella is to ensure your host files are pointed at the right place (Apple). It's one of the steps in the tutorial I linked. But, after that, you close Tiny Umbrella and continue on with the tutorial.

Please, try using the tutorial and following the steps exactly as written. It has been carefully written and crafted and has worked for a lot of people. Do not deviate from the steps, okay?

Marilyn

OP
M

MStyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't use Tiny Umbrella (or shouldn't be). Your iPad is in Recovery mode and must be connected to iTunes so it can be restored to iOS 6. There is no other iOS that can be installed on that iPad, so Tiny Umbrella is of no use to you.

The only reason you are to use Tiny Umbrella is to ensure your host files are pointed at the right place (Apple). It's one of the steps in the tutorial I linked. But, after that, you close Tiny Umbrella and continue on with the tutorial.

Please, try using the tutorial and following the steps exactly as written. It has been carefully written and crafted and has worked for a lot of people. Do not deviate from the steps, okay?

Marilyn

I follow the step by step and now I get new problem. After iTunes showing "preparing iPad for restore" and my iPad showing Apple logo for so long, it came up with new error "The iPad "iPad" could not restored. An unknown error occurred (1603).". And about 30 min, my iPad from Apple logo come back to recovery mode.

What should I do next?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A Google search reveals these steps from Apple:

Error 1603:
Follow the steps listed above for Error 1604. Also, discard the .ipsw file, open iTunes and attempt to download the update again. See the steps under Advanced Steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) below for file locations.If you do not want to remove the IPSW in the original user, try restoring in a new administrator user. If the issue remains, Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.

Error 1604:
This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, using a different dock connector to USB cable, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections. If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.
If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode,put it into Recovery Mode.
Restore and wait for the error.
When prompted, click OK.
Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
Try to restore again.
If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.

Here is the link to Apple's site that talks about these error codes: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

So, try the various trouble-shooting steps listed here to see if they will help.

Marilyn

MJJ1987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar issue on I pad 2 - error -1

Hi All,

Just wondering if this problem was resolved, and if so how it was done?

I have the same problem essentially. I think I scrambled my Ipad 2 (not 3) when trying to use it to tether to my laptop using tetherMe app from cydia, and pulled the plug out mid-sync

Downloaded Tiny Umbrella and followed all the steps, however the box that your supposed to un-check was blocked out and already unchecked anyway.

I've updated my iTunes and iPad firmware to the latest (6.0.1) and went to restore and I forgot to put it in DFU mode. Now whenever I attempt to re-install it looks like it is about to be completed and then I get the Error - 1 message.

Have tried to re-do all steps, (and also tried to boot it out of recovery via tiny umbrella - which fails) I think the key issue from following the steps is that now I can't seem to access DFU mode either.

Have also tried to restore via a different laptop which also lead to the same problem so it must be related to the ipad, and not the settings on the computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

(sorry if this is in the wrong thread, didn't want to re-post when this is very very similar to my circumstances (looks like we both went wrong when not puting in DFU mode)

The below is very worrying!!
[h=3]Error 1 or -1
[/h]This may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues, and restore your device on a different known-good computer. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Most reactions

Latest posts