What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jailbreak for iPad 2

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the decent app cost...I am dying for the release

Dude I swear. Pirate if you want, but don't dance around saying you do. This isn't that kind of forum.

Jail breaking isn't for pirating, people!!!

It is there to allow people the ability to customize and run the OS the way they want to,

Not for stealing the hard work of the small time devs who bust their asses to create games and apps that we love.

Might be really good to remember this. Good post.

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you backed up your blobs with tinyumbrella then it doesnt matter - your fine either way.
If you did not back up your blobs, then a JB is released for 4.3, you jailbreak, something tragic happens whenever and you have to restore, your going to the latest firmware at restore:(

Is it possible to back up my blobs before a JB exists? I guess if there is a tethered method I could back up my blobs then upgrade but would prefer to wait for tethered.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you backed up your blobs with tinyumbrella then it doesnt matter - your fine either way.
If you did not back up your blobs, then a JB is released for 4.3, you jailbreak, something tragic happens whenever and you have to restore, your going to the latest firmware at restore:(

Is it possible to back up my blobs before a JB exists? I guess if there is a tethered method I could back up my blobs then upgrade but would prefer to wait for tethered.

yeah, use tinyumbrella

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, use tinyumbrella

Ok. Understand. Got this from the tiny umbrella site:

This is a safe and effective way to save the SHSH of a jailbroken device. If you are not jailbroken and want to save your SHSH, your only real choice is to use TinyUmbrella which does not require you to be jailbroken. Furthermore, TinyUmbrella sends the SHSH request through Cydia's servers which turn around and request the SHSH from apple. This results in your SHSH being saved on Cydia and then also locally on your home computer.

Thanks!

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a newcomer to ipad can someone tell me exactly what jailbreak is? Do I need it? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking let's you override apples code so you can install stuff apple does not allow, such as Tweaks and mods and themes from an app called Cydia. It really makes your iDevice so much more better. The possibilities are endless and everyday there are more packages released in Cydia. I think a lot of people misunderstand the word "Jailbreak" and think it's going to mess up there device. But that is not the case at all. It frees your device from Apple's restrictions!!

Sent from my Amazingly, incredible iPad 2

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 jailbreak isn't out yet...why people posting like it is? :-/

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Mr Mystery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can wait, the iPad 2 is still phenomenal without a JB(just that much better with one).
:)

Woohoo first post!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D_LA_ROC said:
Everyone's getting ready for when it is...

Sent from my incredible iPad 2

Ok, nothing wrong with that. JB for ipad2 gonna be crazy!

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doing what you want ... customizing

All the decent app cost...I am dying for the release

Dude I swear. Pirate if you want, but don't dance around saying you do. This isn't that kind of forum.

Jail breaking isn't for pirating, people!!!

It is there to allow people the ability to customize and run the OS the way they want to,

Not for stealing the hard work of the small time devs who bust their asses to create games and apps that we love.
I picked your post as you sound somewhat mature in this process of customizing. I have a few questions... and will note a few issues also.

1. We all know iOS4.3.1 does not do Flash ... and JB lets you.
2. I am more interested in moving data into iPad via SD camera adapter. Can that be done? It seems if data can stream via wireless, it could also happen via SD if someone wanted to.
3. There a lot of talk about not liking iTunes control. With Amazon now offering a cloud "locker" scheme ... and folks wanting backup ... Apple or the JB crowd should certainly be able to move stuff around without iTune erasing all the TAGs like it does with photos, etc. What else do you know about this?
4. Yesterday MC Hammer was on Oprah was lauding about the Zagg case with the bluetooth keyboard. (they both love the iPad) This puts the iPad into category that may bloggers want ... a physical keyboard (they don't like the virtual one). It also is flexible and the iPad is usable with or w/o the keyboard and case with built in holder at different angles. A little expensive, but it works well. Now the iPad could indeed replace the heavy laptop everyone seems to want to get rid of for lighter duty needs. What say you all?

This gives us a start of what can be the next revolution ... opening up the iPad in the proper way .... I'm not sure what that is ... but it would seem it could be done if Apple wanted to.

It would then be called Apple's netbook replacement (which is dying rapidly ... low performance, low cost, low profit ... it dies)

Last edited:

SittingDuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie questions

I guess my question is the same as the other guy's, but I am trying to figure out how I might improve my ipad2 by jailbreaking it (when JB is available).

I am a first time ipad owner and and my technical acumen is, uh, modest. Just looking for some advice -- what should I be looking to do? Jailbreak my ipad, install Cydia. Okay, then what? What are the best/most typical things one would do to improve their ipad once it is jailbroken?

I realize this is kind of open-ended and imagine there are thousands of possible answers, but looking for any general guidance you guys can offer. I mean, what untapped potential should I be looking to exploit once i jailbreak this thing? I'm afraid I'll just sit there, say "ok, it's jailbroken" and then be at a loss...

Cryptic1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do these things for starters.
5 Essential Cydia Apps For Jailbroken iPad | TCGeeks

Just do some quick Google searches for "Cydia iPad", and you'll find all kinds of info.
FYI, the article above mentions only Cydia apps, nothing illegal. Jailbreaking is completely legal. If you stick to the apps/options in Cydia jailbreaking can be awesome. Just make sure to read up on it first. Once the jailbreak comes out, the instructions should be pretty simple (they have been so far). It's also good to keep in mind that if you don't like the jailbreak, just re-connect to iTunes and reset your iPad back to normal (you'll lose any jailbroken/Cydia-installed apps/tweaks/themes of course). Also remember to back up your iPad regularly, so if there are any issues you can reset and reload.

Last edited:

anthony2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jailbreaking lets you have the full potential of the device. there are no barriers left between you and the units capabilities.
unfortunately at the moment i don't think a jailbreak is coming anytime soon. apple has made the hardware like fort knox and while jailbreaking is legal, the methodology used has to be too and unfortunately there is no legal way to do that easily in the ipad 2. my guess is may or june before we see it.

Most reactions

Latest posts