What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak 4.2 with working cydia

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
think I will let someone else try it 1st don't wanna risk it.

naty48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its possible to do with Windows ? or only MAC ?
PLEASE becouse when i was using the Last time its not work my cydia and all was black + no multitasking working and more big problems not reccomand!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
E

Efc911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does work as the guy has a picture of ios 4.2 as the operating system at the bottom of cydia and he mentions windows . I will try this when I get a chance:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but you still not answer did im need mac or i can use windows

I can confirm it does work, but since it is pwnagetool based it is Mac only. I would not recommend anyone tries this themselves unless they understand the process which is described on redmondpie. It is not really for those who need their hand held at this stage.
The end result is buggy at best, and as stated, is really only for developers of jailbroken applications who want to get a head start on compatibility issues. Many things are still broken.
The general populous IMHO should leave it alone until a stable JB for 4.2.1 public is released in the coming weeks...
Hope that helps.

SterAllures

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried that but I get stuck at step 14.

Step 14: Reboot your device in Recovery Mode, start Terminal on OS X and run the following command:

sudo sh

This will ask for your root password. Once you have entered the password, run the following commands:

cd ~/Desktop/tetheredboot

./tetheredboot iBSS kernel

it says somenthing about cannot find the image.

And after that I kinda "bricked" my iPad. got it working after a few hours. so if anyone does succeed with it please let me know how to get pass that step.

@Naty8 I did it on Mac OSX because I don't know how I can get into the package content on Windows. mayB it will be possible if you know how to do that.

Last edited:

iPadDev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The REAL DEAL with 4.2.1 & redsn0w

I can confirm it does work, but since it is pwnagetool based it is Mac only. I would not recommend anyone tries this themselves unless they understand the process which is described on redmondpie. It is not really for those who need their hand held at this stage.
The end result is buggy at best, and as stated, is really only for developers of jailbroken applications who want to get a head start on compatibility issues. Many things are still broken.
The general populous IMHO should leave it alone until a stable JB for 4.2.1 public is released in the coming weeks...
Hope that helps.

I'm sorry, but you are once again misinformed. Yesterday you posted on another thread that there was no way to jailbreak 4.2/4.2.1 for iPad - even though the devteam had already posted the new version of redsn0w for that very purpose. Today you are saying that 4.2.1 is not "stable" and "buggy at best (which is just something that you read on another website)".

For anyone who wants ACTUAL FACTUAL information - the redsn0w jailbreak released yesterday for 4.2.1 is not buggy, and the jailbroken system is PERFECTLY STABLE, with no battery drainage or anything else of the sort. The only single issue is that you must patch cydia afterwards in order for it to work without crashing before loading.

I have been running jailbroken 4.2.1 on my iPad, with Cydia, and have not had a single issue, nor have I noticed any bugs.

Follow the tutorial at redmondpie and you can't go wrong. Also, since it is a GM and not a final version, you will be able to downgrade to a lower version without any trouble at all.

iPadDev

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Step 14: Reboot your device in Recovery Mode, start Terminal on OS X and run the following command:

sudo sh

This will ask for your root password. Once you have entered the password, run the following commands:

And after that I kinda "bricked" my iPad. got it working after a few hours. so if anyone does succeed with it please let me know how to get pass that step.

@Naty8 I did it on Mac OSX because I don't know how I can get into the package content on Windows. mayB it will be possible if you know how to do that.

Hi, no need to boot tethered using terminal. Just use the newest version of redsn0w to "boot tethered for now" instead, and you will be fine. There's a new tutorial on redmondpie that will show you. The ./tetheredboot iBSS kernel was for booting tethered from terminal before the new version of redsn0w came out, but the new version of redsn0w does the tethered boot for you.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry, but you are once again misinformed. Yesterday you posted on another thread that there was no way to jailbreak 4.2/4.2.1 for iPad - even though the devteam had already posted the new version of redsn0w for that very purpose. Today you are saying that 4.2.1 is not "stable" and "buggy at best (which is just something that you read on another website)".

For anyone who wants ACTUAL FACTUAL information - the redsn0w jailbreak released yesterday for 4.2.1 is not buggy, and the jailbroken system is PERFECTLY STABLE, with no battery drainage or anything else of the sort. The only single issue is that you must patch cydia afterwards in order for it to work without crashing before loading.

I have been running jailbroken 4.2.1 on my iPad, with Cydia, and have not had a single issue, nor have I noticed any bugs.

Follow the tutorial at redmondpie and you can't go wrong. Also, since it is a GM and not a final version, you will be able to downgrade to a lower version without any trouble at all.

Whatever dude. I'm not going to apologise for another post which was at worst a few hours behind the scene and was done with the best intentions. Nor will I apologise for offering what I stated was my honest opinion at the time and guidance which was in line with what the devteam said - "PLEASE CONSIDER THIS AN ADVANCED TOPIC!! It’s not meant for the masses because it involves rather nerdy things like command lines and tar files. But for those who know how to use this new redsn0w feature, have fun!"

Oh, and welcome to the forum...

Last edited:

SterAllures

iPF Noob
Reaction score

sudo sh

Hi, no need to boot tethered using terminal. Just use the newest version of redsn0w to "boot tethered for now" instead, and you will be fine. There's a new tutorial on redmondpie that will show you. The ./tetheredboot iBSS kernel was for booting tethered from terminal before the new version of redsn0w came out, but the new version of redsn0w does the tethered boot for you.

Thanks for the info! not sure if it's still usefull to do this one since the official update is out and I could mayB wait for a new JB?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
U might as well wait until official limera1n or green poison jailbrake drops for 4.2.1.

Most reactions

Latest posts