What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak 4.2.1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded my MacPro to 10.6.5, IPAD and iPhone4 to 4.2.1 and encountered all sorts of problems before even thinking about jailbreaking. People are losing data, having their (mostly) IPADS lock up, and wi-fi connectivity to the IPAD drop without warning. For me resetting the router re-connected the IPAD for a few hours. I had two boot drive backups so I went back to 10.6.4 and took the IPD back to 3.2.2 and IPhone to 4.1. I re-jailbroke them and they are rolling along smoothly.

Cydia says to hold off on jailbreaking 4.2.1. I suggest not even upgrading your Macs, phones and IPADs. A JB iPhone and IPAD are no big deal. I have blown away the devices back to 'new' status and ther re-JB them with no problems. When I JB the 2nd time the restore to new removed every trace of the JB even down to removing the Folders I had put there to hold images.

For a digital photography equivalent it's like cleaning your camera's sensor the first time; it's unnerving but after a time or two it is not a big deal, just be deliberate and keep track of what you're doing.

Good analogy.

njs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jb

you can jailbreak 4.2.1 just google jailbreak 4.2.1 ipad and look for redmond pie website you have to do it through redsnow, and cydia will work but follow the steps mines all sorted it is teethered at the moment so if you do,do it dont do what i did reset network settings so if you do that it locks till you can sort out via red snow but that is explained on the website

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my MacPro to 10.6.5, IPAD and iPhone4 to 4.2.1 and encountered all sorts of problems before even thinking about jailbreaking. People are losing data, having their (mostly) IPADS lock up, and wi-fi connectivity to the IPAD drop without warning. For me resetting the router re-connected the IPAD for a few hours. I had two boot drive backups so I went back to 10.6.4 and took the IPD back to 3.2.2 and IPhone to 4.1. I re-jailbroke them and they are rolling along smoothly.

Cydia says to hold off on jailbreaking 4.2.1. I suggest not even upgrading your Macs, phones and IPADs. A JB iPhone and IPAD are no big deal. I have blown away the devices back to 'new' status and ther re-JB them with no problems. When I JB the 2nd time the restore to new removed every trace of the JB even down to removing the Folders I had put there to hold images.

For a digital photography equivalent it's like cleaning your camera's sensor the first time; it's unnerving but after a time or two it is not a big deal, just be deliberate and keep track of what you're doing.

Add the new AppleTV to that list as well. I have had to reset to default three times already because it lost the ability to see WLAN networks.

If it happens again off it goes to Apple with a lovely little note....

Most reactions