What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J A Macp

J A Macp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from the coastal tip of South Gippsland, Australia [next stop south is Tasmania andthen Antarctica !!!] and still awaiting delivery of my first Apple in 25 years!
[my first computer in 1986 was the tiny-screened Apple Mac] Rather excited
about the iPad 2 with camera for Facetime and Skype so that I can see
and hear friends in Sweden and elsewhere in the northern hemisphere.

Wanting to know how to use iPad 2 whilst in Europe - hopefully with ONE
simcard for Germany, France, Italy and Sweden. !

Cheers!:eek:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from the coastal tip of South Gippsland, Australia [next stop south is Tasmania andthen Antarctica !!!] and still awaiting delivery of my first Apple in 25 years!
[my first computer in 1986 was the tiny-screened Apple Mac] Rather excited
about the iPad 2 with camera for Facetime and Skype so that I can see
and hear friends in Sweden and elsewhere in the northern hemisphere.

Wanting to know how to use iPad 2 whilst in Europe - hopefully with ONE
simcard for Germany, France, Italy and Sweden. !

Cheers!:eek:

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Although you could, theoretically, use one SIM card in all those countries, in practice you'll attract roaming charges as you move from one country to another. As a result, it's more realistic to purchase a pre-paid SIM card in each country. The iPad's microSIM is far less common than a normal SIM and you might want to invest in a SIM cutter before you leave Australia - they're available from Amazon and similar retailers. This cuts off the excess plastic from a regular SIM and makes it micro-SIM size, so that it will fit into an iPad. The ease with which you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards in Europe varies from country to country. The UK is, I think, the easiest (here the operators only want to see your money - they don't care about anything else!!) whereas in others they seem to want to make life difficult, with France having the 'worst' reputation in this direction. Having said all of this, however, you might want to consider whether the very wide availability of WiFi in Europe - particularly in urban areas - might be sufficient. Hotels, malls, restaurants, coffee shops, franchises, airports, some buses and trains etc all have WiFi - some free and some you have to pay for. Whatever you decided to do, I hope you have a great trip.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

J A Macp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Internet connection whilst travelling Europe

Many thanks for the excellent advice, Tim.
It's probably too late to get the SIM cutter in time before heading off
in 10 days time but I will try the Wi Fi option first and then try a Sim card
for Italy where I'm spending the most time.
Interesting to be on such a great support site. Looking forward to
receiving the new iPad end of this week
Cheers!, J A Macp.

Most reactions

Latest posts