iWork vs Office

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by iforsakenu, Jun 14, 2011.

1. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    They have but it doesn't work...

I got a beta account for office 365. You can see documents on your iPad from it but there is no way to edit or originate text. Sigh :(

2. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is this beta for an iPad app? And when is this expected to go public. Ay info is appreciated, Thanks

3. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    MS are not that clear. They talk about 365 working across platforms, because it is web based. However it certainly doesn't work with any browser I have on my iPad. The browsers do not recognise text areas as such. Hence the cannot be selected and the on screen keyboard does not pop up.

4. Lusid

Lusid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iWorks vs Docstogo depends on where the document originates.

If I am starting from scratch on the iPad, iWorks is great. Its not full featured enough to finish a complex document or work on complex formatting, but for getting them started or producing more mundane content iWorks is fine.

If the document came from MSOffice, iWorks will butcher anything but the most simplistic files. Docs2go handles them much better, at least for viewing. I don't use it for editing much, because I don't use their sync tools to maintain formatting fidelity after iPad edits to the files.

If I really need a full featured productivity suite, I use a PC package via pocketcloud.

5. lukepast

lukepast
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I managed without Numbers for the past year! I just bought it today as I was bored and thought I needed it to do something - it turned out it didn't work for the particular task.

6. lukepast

lukepast
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I only caved in and bought it when I noticed they now let you save as an excel formatted file - when you could only save as Numbers or PDF it was useless as I still haven't installed iWorks (from buying the boxed set when I upgraded to Snow Leopard) on my macMini.

7. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Sorry to hear you wasted $10, never know though it may come in handy sooner or later (hopefully). When using keynote can u import video clips into the presentation? Thanks

8. lukepast

lukepast
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Don't know about keynote never used it :-(

Money for numbers wasn't a waste - there were things I would have used it for but didn't when I couldn't save in excel format. On reading my post it is a bit biased as Excel couldn't do the task either :-D

9. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Half the price of iWork suite. iPad cases cost 2-10 times this much. People have gotten a distorted view of what software costs by all the one function 99 cent apps on iOS.

10. tdmsu

tdmsu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree with USBill. iWork is an excellent value that promises to get even better when iOS 5 comes out to provide more seamless syncing.

I also agree that the iPad versions wil not do complex formatting, but for me that is ok.