iWork vs Office

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by iforsakenu, Jun 14, 2011.

1. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Which do you think is better? Keeping documents in sync via the iPad 2 and MacBook Pro? Editing on iPad and finishing on the Mac, and vice versa.

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    For sure, iWorks is a stripped down version of the desktop equivalent and there are most certainly numerous incompatibilities - as well as a number of well-known workarounds. My experience is that a document originated on the iPad is 100% compatible with the desktop version but the reverse is most certainly not true.

For example, Pages cannot originate superscripts and subscripts - but it displays them just fine. It cannot originate footnotes but, again, it displays them just fine. As I mentioned, there are numerous - if ugly - workarounds to most of these problems. One big issue for me with Pages it its inability to process - either display or originate - 'Track Changes', which makes it fairly useless for collaborative document processing. So I tend to use Pages to originate the text and minor formatting of a document - it's great for use while I'm travelling - and then to consolidate and finalise the document on my desktop machine.

Tim

3. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This makes sense. I mean I was maybe hoping for a better outcome, however it is the reality of it(for now) maybe:) what you think the possibility of an iPad version of an MS Office port? Thanks in advance

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I would very much doubt whether they'll be a Microsoft version of Office for the iPad - in the way that there is for the Mac. There have certainly been no rumours of this on the Forum. I think the best that we can hope for is an updated version of Pages.

Tim

5. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah this is true. Oh well. I'm more interested in an app that is geared for college students that holds and outlines a syllabus

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    If Microsoft ported anything to the iPad it would probaby be their online Office suite (office in the cloud). I forget what they call it. But I would not be holding my breath for that either.

7. Ranjan

Ranjan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I use Docs-to-Go to save and read MSOffice documents from my email attachments. I can also sync via iTunes any MSOffice document on my Mac/PC. It has limited editing capabilities.

8. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I just can't bring myself to pay $14.99 for this. I wish apple had trials for such expensive apps. I know the iPad is an expensive utility, however I'm a college student on a budget so sometimes it can be overwhelming. At any rate I'd like to know what makes this so much better than say the "iWork" suite offered by apple? and I don't understand why apple doesn't bundle the 3 for $25. it saves you $5 and would get more people to buy the full thing. Is this your alternative? Thanks in advance.

9. Ranjan

Ranjan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have been using Docs-to -Go ($9.99 promotion) on iPhone for two years mainly as a means to save and edit mail attachments. Now, there are other ways to save attachments but can't edit. The DtoG .ppt slideshow was more like a .PDF slide show which was not suitable to replace a computer in a slide presentation. So, I just bought Keynote ($9.99) for iPad and keynote remote ($0.99) for iPhone. Keynote on iPad is awesome to create slides and the Keynote remote on iPhone works great via a Bluetooth connection allowing you to move around. The iPhone shows the speakers notes too! I connect the iPad via a VGA adaptor to a projector.

10. iforsakenu

iforsakenu
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Then this just budges me forward to complete my iWork suite. Maybe I'll exempt numbers. I don't really do spread sheets. Or do you think it could come in handy?