iWork vs Office

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by iforsakenu, Jun 14, 2011.

1. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which do you think is better? Keeping documents in sync via the iPad 2 and MacBook Pro? Editing on iPad and finishing on the Mac, and vice versa.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    For sure, iWorks is a stripped down version of the desktop equivalent and there are most certainly numerous incompatibilities - as well as a number of well-known workarounds. My experience is that a document originated on the iPad is 100% compatible with the desktop version but the reverse is most certainly not true.

For example, Pages cannot originate superscripts and subscripts - but it displays them just fine. It cannot originate footnotes but, again, it displays them just fine. As I mentioned, there are numerous - if ugly - workarounds to most of these problems. One big issue for me with Pages it its inability to process - either display or originate - 'Track Changes', which makes it fairly useless for collaborative document processing. So I tend to use Pages to originate the text and minor formatting of a document - it's great for use while I'm travelling - and then to consolidate and finalise the document on my desktop machine.

Tim
  3. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This makes sense. I mean I was maybe hoping for a better outcome, however it is the reality of it(for now) maybe:) what you think the possibility of an iPad version of an MS Office port? Thanks in advance
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I would very much doubt whether they'll be a Microsoft version of Office for the iPad - in the way that there is for the Mac. There have certainly been no rumours of this on the Forum. I think the best that we can hope for is an updated version of Pages.

Tim
  5. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah this is true. Oh well. I'm more interested in an app that is geared for college students that holds and outlines a syllabus
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,321 / 1
    If Microsoft ported anything to the iPad it would probaby be their online Office suite (office in the cloud). I forget what they call it. But I would not be holding my breath for that either.
  7. Ranjan

Ranjan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Docs-to-Go to save and read MSOffice documents from my email attachments. I can also sync via iTunes any MSOffice document on my Mac/PC. It has limited editing capabilities.
  8. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just can't bring myself to pay $14.99 for this. I wish apple had trials for such expensive apps. I know the iPad is an expensive utility, however I'm a college student on a budget so sometimes it can be overwhelming. At any rate I'd like to know what makes this so much better than say the "iWork" suite offered by apple? and I don't understand why apple doesn't bundle the 3 for $25. it saves you $5 and would get more people to buy the full thing. Is this your alternative? Thanks in advance.
  9. Ranjan

Ranjan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been using Docs-to -Go ($9.99 promotion) on iPhone for two years mainly as a means to save and edit mail attachments. Now, there are other ways to save attachments but can't edit. The DtoG .ppt slideshow was more like a .PDF slide show which was not suitable to replace a computer in a slide presentation. So, I just bought Keynote ($9.99) for iPad and keynote remote ($0.99) for iPhone. Keynote on iPad is awesome to create slides and the Keynote remote on iPhone works great via a Bluetooth connection allowing you to move around. The iPhone shows the speakers notes too! I connect the iPad via a VGA adaptor to a projector.
  10. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then this just budges me forward to complete my iWork suite. Maybe I'll exempt numbers. I don't really do spread sheets. Or do you think it could come in handy?
  11. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They have but it doesn't work...

I got a beta account for office 365. You can see documents on your iPad from it but there is no way to edit or originate text. Sigh :(
  12. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is this beta for an iPad app? And when is this expected to go public. Ay info is appreciated, Thanks
  13. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    MS are not that clear. They talk about 365 working across platforms, because it is web based. However it certainly doesn't work with any browser I have on my iPad. The browsers do not recognise text areas as such. Hence the cannot be selected and the on screen keyboard does not pop up.
  14. Lusid

Lusid iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    iWorks vs Docstogo depends on where the document originates.

If I am starting from scratch on the iPad, iWorks is great. Its not full featured enough to finish a complex document or work on complex formatting, but for getting them started or producing more mundane content iWorks is fine.

If the document came from MSOffice, iWorks will butcher anything but the most simplistic files. Docs2go handles them much better, at least for viewing. I don't use it for editing much, because I don't use their sync tools to maintain formatting fidelity after iPad edits to the files.

If I really need a full featured productivity suite, I use a PC package via pocketcloud.
  15. lukepast

lukepast iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I managed without Numbers for the past year! I just bought it today as I was bored and thought I needed it to do something - it turned out it didn't work for the particular task.
  16. lukepast

lukepast iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only caved in and bought it when I noticed they now let you save as an excel formatted file - when you could only save as Numbers or PDF it was useless as I still haven't installed iWorks (from buying the boxed set when I upgraded to Snow Leopard) on my macMini.
  17. iforsakenu

iforsakenu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol. Sorry to hear you wasted $10, never know though it may come in handy sooner or later (hopefully). When using keynote can u import video clips into the presentation? Thanks
  18. lukepast

lukepast iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know about keynote never used it :-(

Money for numbers wasn't a waste - there were things I would have used it for but didn't when I couldn't save in excel format. On reading my post it is a bit biased as Excel couldn't do the task either :-D
  19. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Half the price of iWork suite. iPad cases cost 2-10 times this much. People have gotten a distorted view of what software costs by all the one function 99 cent apps on iOS.
  20. tdmsu

tdmsu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I agree with USBill. iWork is an excellent value that promises to get even better when iOS 5 comes out to provide more seamless syncing.

I also agree that the iPad versions wil not do complex formatting, but for me that is ok.