What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iWork Numbers for iPad

SiegPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help me figure out how to do a new line return within a cell within iWork Numbers for the iPad? I want to have multiple lines of text within single cell in a Numbers table. Thanks!

OP
S

SiegPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have checked the Apple pages and can find how to do this in Numbers for Mac but those key combinations don't work for the iPad. I looked for further documentation on Numbers for iPad and have not been able to find this level of detail.

OP
S

SiegPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have continued to search forums and apple.com for this answer but with no luck. I found one suggestion to use the onscreen RETURN key (I am generally using bluetooth keyboard with Numbers) but that doesn't work either. It ends up being a "Next" key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apologies if I've misunderstood what you are wanting to do, but I've put multiple lines of text in numerous cells just by keeping on typing. The text adjusts to the size of the cell and automatically takes a new line when you run out of space on that line.

If you want a new line but don't want to fill the line you are on or decrease the width of the cell, start by typing your first line of text, then press the space bar a few times then type the word you want to start your next line. Keep adding spaces until that word drops down to the next line.

Last edited:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Jockscrap said:
Apologies if I've misunderstood what you are wanting to do, but I've put multiple lines of text in numerous cells just by keeping on typing. The text adjusts to the size of the cell and automatically takes a new line when you run out of space on that line.

If you want a new line but don't want to fill the line you are on or decrease the width of the cell, start by typing your first line of text, then press the space bar a few times then type the word you want to start your next line. Keep adding spaces until that word drops down to the next line.

That's not a multi line cell but a nice workaround. The problem is that is you view that spreadsheet in Excel for example, you'll end up with a really long line with lot of spaces.

VicoPad addict!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I found it.

- Select the cell
- make sure that format is Text (small icon with a T on it)
- type your first line
- then touch and hold the end of the text, like you would select something
- the menu appears, to select, select all and "New Paragraph"...
- click New Paragraph and you're on a new line...

VicoPad addict!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Here's a screen capture...

VicoPad addict!

Attachments

• image-2545624257.png
    image-2545624257.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 2,004
OP
S

SiegPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse, thank you very much! Just tried that and works great!

Thanks for your help!

casperkold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a bluetooth keyboard when working in numbers. Is there any keyboard shortcuts to creating a new coloumn in the same cell?? Moving my hand from the keyboard to the screen is slowing me down, since i have a lot of coloumns to create.

Thanks!!
Casper

Most reactions

Latest posts