iWork Acronyms

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by pilgrimav8r, Jul 18, 2015.

1. pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi everybody,

I have written a very long (18 Chapter, 10,000s of pages) Reference book, each chapter is a standalone presentation created in Keynote but all in the same folder.

I would like to create an acronym presentation (standalone) in the same folder that could link to a search function throughout all 18 chapters - maybe even a complete word search throughout each of the folders.

Now in the dim and distant past (MS) I seem to remember hyperlinking everything so I guess we can do that in iWork? Or even better some suggestions, links anything that will get me started. I start with my 18 chapters and a blank acronyms folder - I am not ever sure if I should create it in numbers, pages or keynote!

many thanks in anticipation.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You can not link outside of a Keynote presentation, only to other slides in the same presentation. Nor can you link from one iWorks app into another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ouch! Thx TP but does that mean each chapter (presentation) has to have its own acronym section embedded within each chapter? Worse still does it mean I can't embed say a file from either numbers or pages into keynote! Or am I just being a dummy?

Because if you can't that's a serious flaw in iWork's.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No. That's pretty much what it means.

You can copy/paste things like tables and text from the other iWorks apps, but it's not a link. You're making a copy of the contents. Also, you won't have the spreadsheet functionality of the tables when you paste them over. They become simple display tables.

Is this a extension to the training/simulator/manual Keynotes you were already making? If not, and it's mostly about text and images, then I think you would find iBooks Author the better tool.

5. pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It is, but I am not sure I have shown any of the new stuff to you - basically I have turned the entire Pilots Training manual into a presentation. Each chapter is a standalone and you simply open the chapter you want and press play. It's embedded with thousands of pictures, vids and I'm really pleased with it, as are the manufacturers but I just like to make it as good as I possibly can. I have just downloaded iBooks Author and I do like that, maybe for the next idea I have.

Basically the whole shebang will be an app I'll send you a link to the promo.

As always many thanks

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. As always, you're getting far more out of the Keynote app than I ever thought possible.