What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Tips and Tricks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What have you found out about iTunes that you would to share?

Do you see a question asked frequently that you can answer?

Please don't use this thread to ask questions. Use search or start a new thread if you can't find what you need, but check back here and see if the answer you are looking for has been covered here.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
nice idea Kevin,so many people struggle with iTunes.

ethansamuel17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hbipadlabs.com
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Overthe last several weeks & months I have improved my iMac OS but amrestricted by components to operating Snow Leopard. But at the end ofit all, many of the music in my playlists on my iTouch appear as theyalways have but many of them don't perform -- even though theyperform on my iMac. How do I get them to perform again on my iTouch?[/FONT]

Sopranosv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if this is about iTunes Tips, I would like to share the steps I followed in order to come up with a sort of "neat" music database, as I got bored of listening my music with Winamp and using iTunes just to "send" music to mi iPhone. I hope this helps...

1- I used the search tool (I'm on a Windows 7 Laptop) to find all my music and moved it all to the Music folder (where my iTunes folder is). Tried to keep all music sorted by Band/Musician (each of them on one folder, it is up to you)

2- On iTunes i went to Edit, Preferences..., General

3- Selected "Import Settings..."

4- Selected "Import Using: MP3 Encoder" with a "Setting: High Quality (160 kbps)" (Here you can chose the combination you prefer, "AAC" and "iTunes Plus" is the default combination)

5- Hit "Ok" twice

6- On iTunes now we go to File, Add File to Library

7- We go to the folder where we have our music and in the search tool we look for: *.wma

8- Select them all and click on Open; iTunes will start converting all selected WMAs into MP3s

9- When the process stopped, I decided to go back to Windows Search Tool, looked for all WMAs and deleted them, as I already had a copy on MP3

With this process now I have all my music in MP3 format, included in iTunes. It is not the perfect process, but it worked for me, so as long as it provides some help, advice or ideas, I'm happy.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love being able to create a playlist and burn it to disc for my car, I'll use CD or DVD re-writeables and change what I carry with me. I like being able to right click on a song (or a group of songs) and select Get Info to edit the metadata for my music because sometimes it imports the wrong information. I love being able to home-share from my computer to my iPad, it lets me keep tons of songs or videos on my computer and only have to carry the ones I'll need when out of my home network range.

To create a playlist, click on the + and give the new playlist a name. right click on individual songs (or highlighted groups) and send it to the playlist you named. You can export playlists to your burner or send them to your iPad/iPhone.

Activate Home Sharing in iTunes and it will be a choice in your music or video when you are in range of your home network (and you have iTunes running on your computer that is on the same network)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started this thread months ago, with every intention of sitting down at my computer and digging around to see what iTunes could do.

Since then, we have a totally new version, iTunes 11, which has caused so consternation, so I thought I'd dig it up and add a few bits to it. First thing, the interface has completely changed, so if you want to get back to closer to how it used to look, hit the Alt key and, from the View menu, choose Show for all of the features you want to be able to see, such as, for example, the all-important sidebar.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that often causes problems, and is easily overlooked, is the authorization of your PC/Mac. You can authorize up to 5 computers. To authorize go to Store/Authorize this Computer.

If you discard a computer, use the Store menu to de authorize it while you still have access to it.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you wish to control iTunes from your iPad, you can download (for free) the Remote app. Start Home Sharing on your computer, and open the app on your iPad, and you can select tracks, volume and add tracks to the Play Next list.

If you want to go in the opposite direction, and play your computer"s content on your iPad, start Home Sharing on the computer, then go to Shared in the Music app. The relevant library info will upload itself to your iPad, and you can play any content held on iTunes.

If you want to play content from your computer that is not on iTunes, or is incompatible with it, use VLC Streamer on the iPad, and VLC Streamer helper on the computer. Both are free, but an ad-free version of VLC Streamer is available for a couple of dollars.

Most reactions

Latest posts