iTunes syncing issues 4.2 GM

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by macguyincali, Nov 8, 2010.

1. sparkolator

sparkolator
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have this exact problem since updating my iPad 16GB WiFi to IOS 4.2.1 today as stated by macguyincali.

2. dek

dek
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    getting same issue here, had some problems with exceptionally slow/failing backup recently but it resolved itself. Updated to iOS 4.2 last night and iPad restarting during sync/backup

3. Luke Bizzy

Luke Bizzy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Only 2 issues that I can find so far with the update.
    1) did not sync a movie on my MBP iTunes back to my iTunes on my iPad. I did the sync twice to no avail. The option in iTunes for "downloads", where it normally sat, takes me to an Apple Terms and Conditions page on their website, where there's no "agree", "disagree" option to continue. I'll play around with that one later and try to solve it. Anyone have a suggestion?

2) YouVersion app won't open. I may have to re-download that one.

Those are the only bugs right now. Still exploring all the changes from the update....

4. peled

peled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that is worth while to sync is application. Why syncing songs books and movies. you can always drag them from any directory to the library, and from there to the iPAD.
    From my personal experience, I thing there is a bug in iTune 10.1 in a Windows 7 , runing upgrade to 4.2.1 . too many complaints.

5. henriksh

henriksh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem which should prove that it is not a windows problem as I have an iMac. It is driving me crazy - thinking it might have been a bad update to 4.2.1. I restored my iPad. Little did it help. Not only did it take 4 hours to back-up yesterday but now it keep on resetting when the back-up gets to 60-70%. So I have now skipped the back-up as my newly restored iPad does not contain anything hoping that it will get back to a working state.

6. macguyincali

macguyincali
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well, I got to the bottom of my problem. It was a corrupt backup. I located the backup file: ~/library/application support/mobilesync and then moved it out of the folder. Then it backed up fine, after a longish backup.

7. sdf34sdf

sdf34sdf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am facing similar issues - I updated my ipad to 4.2.1 on Thursday and it worked fine until then (jailbroken with resn0w). Today I wanted to sync it and it sits there since 45min and the progress is only like 20%ish

I am running Windows 7 Professional and as I said 4.2.1 jailbroken with redsn0w

What shall I do - delete the old backup files or just let it sit there for hours?

8. sdf34sdf

sdf34sdf
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ok to quote myself - I deleted the backups in the iTunes backup folder and after that it worked fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. geo85

geo85
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    fix for upgrade to 4.2.1 hanging, backup fails

If you use a wireless connection when upgrading, syncing, or even using iTunes, it can be very slow because iTunes is always accessing the web and is very poor at recovering from the slightest signal disruption. Apple cust svc suggested using a direct connection, and it completely corrected this set of problems for me. Upgrades and syncing now are fast and finish in minutes, and iTunes loads very fast (v.s very slow with a wireless connection).

10. Mary Hughes

Mary Hughes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have just registered on this forum. I have a problem with my i pad. I recently downloaded the new software to my 64, wifi/3g ipad and now I am having a problem syncing with my computer. When I connect the pad to my computer it nolonger show up in the left colum of itunes - it syncs photos but does not syn music - when I open the ipod there is a message in the centre of the screen saying Canceling Sync... and at the bottom of the screen it says Syncing. I am not sure what has happened or how to correct the problem and would appreciate any help that anyone can provide