What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes sync brings double space ?

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, could you please help me understanding how the sync and backup functionality works between my iPad 2 and my MacBook ?

I have bought several Apps from the app store mainly directly from the iPad 2. In particular I have AVPlayerHD with some heavy related videos.

The problem is that after the latest sync with iTunes the free space on the internal HD of the MacBook is gone down dramatically and the 250 GB HD is almost full !!

Here are my questions:

- Can I maintain the Apps ONLY on the iPad without a second copy on the MacBook ? If I uncheck the option "Sync Apps" in iTunes am I deleting the apps also from the iPad device ?

- I suppose that my purchases are registered in the AppStore and I can always download the app again ?

- How can I configure the backup options of the iPad when is attached via USB to the MacBook ?

- Where is the backup stored on the MacBook ?

I know is a lot but hope someone can help... thanks.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could go into iTunes > Edit > Preferences.. > Devices tab and delete some of your old backups, this would free up some space on the hard drive. But, the best way would to upgrade to a larger hard drive. I upgraded my MacBook Pro to 500GB and while it took some time, it was easy to do. Check out MacSales.com they have kits that make it real easy to do. If you uncheck and item and sync, it will be deleted from the iDevice. Yes, you can re-download your free and paid apps again. I don't know where the backups are stored, but you can delete some of them, see above. Other than deleting some of the backups, the only managing you can do is when you start a sync, immediately click the circled X in the box at the top of the screen in iTunes, this will stop the backup and sync will continue as normal. An alternative would be to use an external USB or FW HD and move your iTunes library over to that, so that most all the iTunes data will be stored on the external HD. This would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I should have thought of that first!

OP
C

Cfugge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wise advice thanks. Frankly my MacBook is pretty old and I already replaced everything at least once (HD included). Not sure he can afford another disassembly... :) But I'll give a look to that site. Thanks !

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cfugge said:
Wise advice thanks. Frankly my MacBook is pretty old and I already replaced everything at least once (HD included). Not sure he can afford another disassembly... :) But I'll give a look to that site. Thanks !

External HD's are just so cheap these days, I have a series of them daisy chained to my MacBook with alias's set up for iTunes and the like with a large capacity HD in the daisy chain backing everything up. I unplug them most of the time when I don't need them and then just connect the last FW lead to my MacBook when I need to say sync my iPad.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts