What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itunes streaming from pc to ipad2 wireless over home network

OP
C

Chef K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it finally. Thanks for all the help! Now to figure out how to use a printer on the network.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to here that your have the home sharing sorted out now. In regards to printing you will need a wifi printer that is supported by Apple AirPrint but that is a very small list of printers that are supported. You can do a Google search to see what printers are supported to see if you are one of the lucky ones. If your printer is not supported by AirPrint then you could look into a program that runs on you pc called FingerPrint 2 which will take any printer connected to your network and make it work for printing from your iPad, iPhone or iPod. Below is a picture from the website that you purchase the software from. Numerous users have used this and had great results including myself.

image-3613320274.jpg

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got it finally. Thanks for all the help! Now to figure out how to use a printer on the network.

Glad you got it to work. What did the final trick?

Project37 offers good advice. For those who don't have an AirPrint printer and have a computer on most of the time, FingerPrint is a favorite solution. Below is more info on the subject.

------------------------------------------

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. If you want this feature be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are several ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) printing apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or another method. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

Printopia - Ecamm Network
FingerPrint - Collobos Software
How to Install AirPrint Activator for Windows?

A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (many months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

For small business owners and those with more than one printer who would like all their printers to work, but don't want to leave a computer on all the time. The Lantronix XPrintServer is a small box that connects to your network and is supposed to detect and make all your wireless printers available to iOS as AirPrint printers. I haven't seen a full review on it yet, so do your research.

Some NetGear router models support NetGear Genie, which will add AirPrint support for printers on your network. If the printer is not wireless, it must be shared on the network, and the computer it is connected to must be on.

OP
C

Chef K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to square one. Sometimes I see my library on the iPad and sometimes I don't. iTunes is open on the pc. Must be a firewall issue

Most reactions

Latest posts