1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

itunes streaming from pc to ipad2 wireless over home network

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Chef K, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have iTunes installed on my windows 7 pc. How do I open the library on my iPad to play into another stereo system? I can't open iTunes on my iPad other than go to the store.
  2. Project37

Project37 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Download the Apple Remote app from the app store. With iTunes running on your PC you will need to insure you "turn on home sharing" under the advanced settings tab in iTunes. Once done you can access all your iTunes media on the iPad via the Apple Remote app provided your PC and iPad are on the same WiFi network. iTunes has to be running on the PC thou during the streaming from your PC to the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  3. Project37

Project37 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    image-54042261.jpg

This is the Apple Remote app.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    iTunes on the iPad is only for purchasing stuff. To play your music use the Music app.
  5. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, this noob installed the remote app. I can now see iTunes on the iPad. I hit play, the player scrolls the timeline of the song, but no audio. I DO have audio in other apps like Air Video. I'm sure I'm missing a setting somewhere. Where would that be,please.
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    The remote app controls the music (in iTunes) on the computer, using the computer's speakers (or other connected audio device).

To play your computer's iTunes library on the iPad you use Home Sharing.

iOS: Setting up Home Sharing on your device
  8. DefBref

DefBref iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    You don't need the remote app, thats for control of your itune library on your PC so it will output audio from whatever the pc is connected to, unless you connect your pc to your hifi, then it is what you want.

For payback on the ipad (or anything its connected to) use homesharing, turn homesharing on in itunes on PC and ipad and then use the music app and press the more button then Shared and your itunes library should appear.
  9. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iTunes library is seen on the iPad. I can also see that the song is playing. No audio out of the headphone jack. All the sharing settings seem correct. Just
    no audio.
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    Somethings to try, if you have not already.

1) Make sure you've turned the volume up. The iPad keeps different volume leves for the headphone and speaker, so do expect it to play just because the speaker did.

2) Make sure the headphones are firmly seated. It's easy to think they are, especially if you have a cover, and the jack gets caught on the edge.

3) In Settings > Music, check your Volume Limit setting.

4) While it should not affect Music playback, you should also check to make sure you are not muted. This can either be the slide switch next to the volume rocker, or in the multitask bar (double tap home and slide the icons to the right). The settings are here: iPad: Understanding the side switch

5) It never hurts to restart the iPad, or reset if that does not work.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.
  11. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    None of this worked. I am trying to listen on the iPad speaker at this point. Just for giggles.
  12. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    Then all I've got left it to ask if you've tried more than one pair of headphones.

You might want to contact Apple. If there is a fault with the headphone jack it should be covered under the hardware warrantee.
  13. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But I have audio through the phones with Air Video on this iPad
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    Good point.

Can you hear music when it is stored locally on the iPad (in the Music app)?
  15. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I can. I tried another tack today. Rest the passwords in iTunes and the iPad. iTunes still shows no users connected, music in the iPad has a blank screen and says no music. I've allowed an ip address exception in my firewall on the pc. Nothing should be blocking the devices from seeing each other.
  16. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got it finally. Thanks for all the help! Now to figure out how to use a printer on the network.
  17. Project37

Project37 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Glad to here that your have the home sharing sorted out now. In regards to printing you will need a wifi printer that is supported by Apple AirPrint but that is a very small list of printers that are supported. You can do a Google search to see what printers are supported to see if you are one of the lucky ones. If your printer is not supported by AirPrint then you could look into a program that runs on you pc called FingerPrint 2 which will take any printer connected to your network and make it work for printing from your iPad, iPhone or iPod. Below is a picture from the website that you purchase the software from. Numerous users have used this and had great results including myself.

image-3613320274.jpg

18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1
    Glad you got it to work. What did the final trick?

Project37 offers good advice. For those who don't have an AirPrint printer and have a computer on most of the time, FingerPrint is a favorite solution. Below is more info on the subject.

------------------------------------------

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. If you want this feature be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are several ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) printing apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or another method. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

Printopia - Ecamm Network
    FingerPrint - Collobos Software
    How to Install AirPrint Activator for Windows?

A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (many months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

For small business owners and those with more than one printer who would like all their printers to work, but don't want to leave a computer on all the time. The Lantronix XPrintServer is a small box that connects to your network and is supposed to detect and make all your wireless printers available to iOS as AirPrint printers. I haven't seen a full review on it yet, so do your research.

Some NetGear router models support NetGear Genie, which will add AirPrint support for printers on your network. If the printer is not wireless, it must be shared on the network, and the computer it is connected to must be on.
  19. Chef K

Chef K iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back to square one. Sometimes I see my library on the iPad and sometimes I don't. iTunes is open on the pc. Must be a firewall issue
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,987 / 1