Itunes music crashes

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Hayles66, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's a lateral thinking problem - sometimes, when a problem is perplexing, I simply walk away from it and then - at some random time in the future, I get that Eureka moment and I think "How could I have been so stupid - the answer is *so* obvious", but if I sit and stare at the problem, inspiration never comes!!

Let us know if the problem 'develops' either one way or the other. The perplexing problems are always the most interesting.

Tim

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't goint to but in, since it's sounded like a UK store problem, but I got curiouls and played around a bit anyway.

First, in case we are not looking at the same thing, I was looking at the Music page, Top Charts, and hitting the More button at the bottom of the Top Songs/ Top Albums lists.

The first time I did this I got to 90 songs before the More button disappeard. Before I tried it again I cleared all the apps out of the Multitask bar, to be sure I had maximum RAM. Having doen this I got all through all 100 songs before the More button went on missing.

My tentative conclusion is that you can only display so much before you run out of RAM. It seems unlikely that the iTunes page uses up all the iPad's RAM, but it is possible that if you start iTunes with other apps in RAM, it may not grab as much for it's own use as it could.

The fact that Tim and I with our iPad 2's, and double the RAM, got further than you every time lends credence to that.

My suggestion is that you do like I did and free up the maximum RAM to see if you can get to 100, or at least back to the 70 you had before.

Please let us know. If it does not work I'll have to start working on another theory.

3. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Wow! TwerpPoet, I'd given up on this, ages ago. I will indeed try that but I'm sure Tim has an iPad 1 though! Tim???

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You are probably right about that. I went back over the conversation, but can't find anything that should have caused me to think Tim had an iPad 2. But even an iPad 1 should have plenty of RAM to display all 100 of the list, at least if nothing else is running.

Then again, I only ran a couple tests. It could all be coincidence.

5. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I got rid of all open apps and I only got to 50 songs. Here's the screen shot!

Attached Files:

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    So much for that theory. :p

7. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    This changes from day to day. 50, 70, 80 but never 100. I used to get to 100 so you could be onto something!

8. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Okay, here's the next try and you are going to love this! I took a photo of every stage until it crashed just in case didn't believe me!

Attached Files:

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    90 huh? I don't know then, it is starting to sound more like and internet, or iTunes problem. Some kind of connection problem that is more likely to happen the longer you try, so that once in a while you get a good run.

Is your internet completely stable? Mine sometimes glitches and I've noticed that iTunes is more sensitive to this than most web pages.

You could try it at known low internet activity times, say late at night or very early in the morning. The loads on both your provider and the UK iTunes store should be less then. Or if you've got some hotspots away form home, you could see how they work.

Not that finding this out will help you, only let you know what you may have to live with.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Huh, just notice in your photo that you still have the Show More button. Mine disappeared when I couldn't get the final songs to list, as did yours, apparently, in the first photo.