What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Match Thread

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that some of the album artwork that is in my iTunes library does not show up on my iPad as a part of iMatch? Is there a way to get all the artwork on my iPad?
I ran into the same problem (and so have many others). It's apparently a metadata issue. There's an iTunes Match thread where I recapped my experience including how I was able to resolve the missing cover art so now all of it appears on my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV2 and other computers.

iTunes Match Recap

Once completed I closed and re-opened iTunes to find that a lot, and I mean a lot of cover art was missing. I wasn't so much worried about the more common cover art that's available by using iTunes' built in-downloader but by the cover art that I had personally added over the years to the more obscure albums in my collection. I was not prepared to spend hours hunting this artwork down again. The good news is that eventually I was able to get all of my cover art back. Not any one task fixed it, but after a lot of trial and error, it was all there. Here's what I did:

1. Turned off iTunes Match - iTunes > Store > Turn Off iTunes Match.
2. Used the iTunes cover art retrieval option - iTunes "Advanced" (top toolbar) > "Get Album Artwork". (I received a notice that 21 covers could not be found).
3. Closed and reopened iTunes (several times)
4. Clicked on cover art that was missing (and it would appear)
5. Cmd+I/Control-click (right-click) on missing cover art to open the "Get Info" screen (and it would appear).
6. Turn iTunes Match back on and click on "Update iTunes Match" in the same drop-down menu

After doing those various things all of the cover art was back including the cover art that I had added myself.

In addition to that there were a few "stubborn" albums where I had to manually add the cover art again. Open the album in song list, highlight all of the songs and control or right-click, click on "Get Info" and then drag the cover art into the Artwork box. (Note: this embeds the cover art and is different from simply adding it in the album view list.) After doing that, update iTunes Match in iTunes by clicking on "Store" in the toolbar, "Update iTunes Match".

Screen Shot 2011-12-03 at 2.07.40 AM.png

After that I had to turn iTunes Match off and on on my iDevices a few times as well as close and reopen the Music App to get all of the cover art to show up. Overall it basically involves try-try again until everything is there. No one should have to do that...there's an obvious bug.

I was actually contacted by Apple and asked a number of questions about my experience so they are aware of it and are working on it.

Hope that helps!

BTW, I'll merge this with the iTunes Match thread.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow Rich, you must be the Apple to go to man. VIP. Let's hope this is sorted before coming to UK. My nerves haven't recovered from the IOS5 update yet!

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow Rich, you must be the Apple to go to man. VIP. Let's hope this is sorted before coming to UK. My nerves haven't recovered from the IOS5 update yet!

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF
It's already going a lot better now, so it should be smooth sailing when you get it. :)

iPaddydaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's still not working for me! The posted solution seems more like a science project than a viable fix to get artwork that is already visible in ITunes imported to my IDevices. Folks i just want it to work. To right now it's like troubleshooting the windows blue screen of death. I don't want to be a troubleshooting. I want tools to work. The fix is software related and I have better things to do with my time than to troubleshoot missing not lost artwork. Apple has to know this is a bug. I just hope someone is working on it.

It's now Dec 21,2011

I uploaded 15 CDs got artwork on three. Interesting 100% of the artwork is displayed in ITunes Library. I give up. Not importing any more music via IMatch. Artwork = noMatch.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well it looks like UK is finally getting iTunes match but to be quite honest, I'm going to wait until everything is smoothed out. Seems there is high shanigans with apple users in UK. I'll play the waiting game until its fixed. It seems some people were too early and have had their money refunded but some people have been successful.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

gjhsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question. I am not sure I am in the right forum but here goes. I have some movies on my Mac book pro. How do I share or get them on my iPad? I have shared my entire library on my mac book pro and my music is on my iPad but the movies are not. Anyone have the answer?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iPaddydaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gjhsmith said:
I have a question. I am not sure I am in the right forum but here goes. I have some movies on my Mac book pro. How do I share or get them on my iPad? I have shared my entire library on my mac book pro and my music is on my iPad but the movies are not. Anyone have the answer?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Have you tried Apple TV?

Most reactions