What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes has deleted my apps!?!?

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was transferring some music from iTunes to my iPad but did not want to waste time transferring my new apps so I told iTunes not to sync apps. When syncing it asked me if I wanted to transfer my apps I said no. After syncing I found that most of my apps were deleted.

Why do apple insist on syncing everything and why did iTunes decide to delete my apps?!?

I had a lot of documents saved on numbers which I had spent a long time on, they are now lost.

(this is my main question)
Is there any way possible of getting these documents back?
I would be so so soooo grateful.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4089

It says that an iTunes backup will save all your iWork for iOS files, so all you need to do is perform an iPad restore as BluRay suggested.

And for God's sakes, never uncheck the box next to Sync Apps in iTunes unless you want stuff deleted.

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have now tried the restore thing on iTunes which you kindly suggested but unfortunately now I'm in an even worse position.

Firstly after restoring my iPad I ended up with the same apps as before without the old deleted ones returning (obviously restored itself to where it was just after the original problem)

But now, I have to pay for the apps which I had before again (before restoring I could just install them without paying). This leads me to my next question:

Can I get these apps back for free without calling apple?

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And another reason why I tried to not sync my apps was because my computer is currently very slow and I wondered if it was partly because of the amount of apps which were saved on iTunes.

Would lots of apps effect how quick you computer runs?

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry it's now allowing me to install the apps again.

Sorry at first it came up with the price but not 'install' but now it's fine. Any different answers for the original question.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you just install the deleted app again, it won't restore your files. You'll have to find a restore point that includes all your apps that you want back. I thought that there was a way to choose an older restore point.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. You do the restore from backup. Then you sync the apps back (by making sure app syncing is on and all the apps have checkmarks beside them). This will usually get your data back. If it does not, then you restore from backup again.

The apps themselves are not in the backup. You have to sync them separately. Only the app data is in the backup.

However, if you've synced since losing the apps then iTunes has created a new backup without the data, and that's the end of it. iTunes only keeps one backup.

However to the however, if you keep backups of the computer you may be able to retrieve an older backup file from that and use it to restore.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software
iPad: About backups

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have synced since the apps were removed so it looks like I'm doomed :(

Thank you for your help anyway I really do appreciate it :)

I'm still angry at apple for not making it clear that I would be deleting the apps of my iPad and not letting you sync music without syncing apps :mad:

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's threads like this that make me scared crapless to take my iPad within fifty feet of my PC. :(

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just make sure you have the sync apps box ticked and you should be fine.

Sadly this advice is to late for me :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's threads like this that make me scared crapless to take my iPad within fifty feet of my PC. :(

People don't report the common non-event. Heck, if everyone reported every time they synced their iPad and nothing bad happened there wouldn't be anything else here to read.

I'm not saying there is not cause to be careful. There are certainly enough reports for that. There are not enough to suggest it's an epidemic.

You should take the time to read over the iPad's manual and become familiar with how iTunes syncing works. Most problems are cause by misunderstanding what is or is not backed up, and what the sync settings actually do. For instance, turning off syncing almost always means removing that content from the iPad, but people often think it just means it won't make any more changes. Only a handful of reports are actually about iTunes bugs and failures.

Make sure you do your backups of both the iPad and computer, and never risk having important documents stored just on the iPad. These are things you should be doing anyway. At least if you have important, non-replaceable stuff on your iPad and/or computer.

In a way it's all because iTunes does too much. Like using Word, it's easy enough if you just leave everything alone and go along with the default settings, but the minute you start trying to accomplish something a bit different it is easy to make mistakes. Worse, because the program as grown as a series of add ons, it's not terribly consistent. Only when you've really learned its ins and outs do the extra features start to be more useful than dangerous.

This is so atypical of Apples software it is very annoying to long time Mac users. Windows users are even more annoyed because even some of the things that are consistent with Apple are new and unusual already. And Apple dose almost as poor a job of writing software for Windows as Microsoft does of writing software for Macs (admittedly the MS Office suite has improved in recent years). They just don't' think alike.

Anyway, one last thing. Pretty much everything above is unsubstantiated opinion. So take it for what it's worth, and since you got it for free (minus the time to read), that's not a lot.

OP
Q

Quady95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do appreciate what apple have done and the iPad is in my opinion the best thing ever :D but they just need to make it even more clear with this problem. Even if they have to put in massive red letters "this will delete the apps on your iPad" this little change will stop lots of complaints from people like me.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
People don't report the common non-event. Heck, if everyone reported every time they synced their iPad and nothing bad happened there wouldn't be anything else here to read.

I'm not saying there is not cause to be careful. There are certainly enough reports for that. There are not enough to suggest it's an epidemic.

You should take the time to read over the iPad's manual and become familiar with how iTunes syncing works. Most problems are cause by misunderstanding what is or is not backed up, and what the sync settings actually do. For instance, turning off syncing almost always means removing that content from the iPad, but people often think it just means it won't make any more changes. Only a handful of reports are actually about iTunes bugs and failures.

Make sure you do your backups of both the iPad and computer, and never risk having important documents stored just on the iPad. These are things you should be doing anyway. At least if you have important, non-replaceable stuff on your iPad and/or computer.

In a way it's all because iTunes does too much. Like using Word, it's easy enough if you just leave everything alone and go along with the default settings, but the minute you start trying to accomplish something a bit different it is easy to make mistakes. Worse, because the program as grown as a series of add ons, it's not terribly consistent. Only when you've really learned its ins and outs do the extra features start to be more useful than dangerous.

This is so atypical of Apples software it is very annoying to long time Mac users. Windows users are even more annoyed because even some of the things that are consistent with Apple are new and unusual already. And Apple dose almost as poor a job of writing software for Windows as Microsoft does of writing software for Macs (admittedly the MS Office suite has improved in recent years). They just don't' think alike.

Anyway, one last thing. Pretty much everything above is unsubstantiated opinion. So take it for what it's worth, and since you got it for free (minus the time to read), that's not a lot.

I agree with you completely that the synching procedures work exactly as they're laid out in the manual. And if most of us could understand exactly what it is the manual is laying out that would be a good start. LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts