What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes Freezing

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is freezing-up about every 3rd or 4th time I connect my iPad2 to the PC. I have to close iTunes from Win 7 task manager (which shows it not responding) then manually restart iTunes where it connects to the iPad ok.

Anyone else experiencing random freeze-ups?

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had the same problem on occasion. Once I had to actually reboot my computer. Never did this with my first iPad.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not freezing it is just busy. Like every application when it says not responding you just need to be patient, it will continue.
I have a lot of comics on my 64GB wi-fi 3G and when I connect to Itunes it takes a couple of minutes to read them all from the comiczeal app.
If you don’t wait and shut it down with the task manager you could corrupt the data on your iPad and possible the itunes application itself.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the iPhone, iPad 1, and iPod Touch. It's not busy doing anything as I have left it for several hours and it doesn't make any difference. Sometimes it will attach to the first device and sync OK, then when I plug in the next device, iTunes freezes. Stop it with Task Manager, unplug idevice, restart iTunes, plug idevice back in, good to go again. Sometimes just re-plugging in the idevice will un-freeze iTunes. I have re-installed iTunes. When I have some time, I will delete the devices drivers and re-install them, to see it that helps.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hours means frozen for sure. I have seen some apps take up to 10 minutes to catch up. But never hours.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also never hooked up two or more devices at one time. I have many I just uses them at different times.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is freezing-up about every 3rd or 4th time I connect my iPad2 to the PC. I have to close iTunes from Win 7 task manager (which shows it not responding) then manually restart iTunes where it connects to the iPad ok.

Anyone else experiencing random freeze-ups?

Same here. I restart the computer and all is fine. Never started happening until the past couple of months.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Try turning off Genius for the time being and then check your iTunes data for issues. I had an errant entry in my music that was making it freeze. I fixed it and haven't had an issue since. And yes, I have since turned Genius back on.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would turn off Ping also if you are not using it.

OP
T

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Genius and Ping are both turned off. I have never used Genius (make my own playlists) and Ping was disabled as soon as I got the iPad. It is a randomly occurring problem with iTunes. When it works, my iPad connects to iTunes within a few seconds. It sync's much quicker than my iPod Touch even though I have a lot more loaded on the IPad.

Sent from my iPod-2

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Genius and Ping are both turned off. I have never used Genius (make my own playlists) and Ping was disabled as soon as I got the iPad. It is a randomly occurring problem with iTunes. When it works, my iPad connects to iTunes within a few seconds. It sync's much quicker than my iPod Touch even though I have a lot more loaded on the IPad.

Sent from my iPod-2

Same here. +1:(

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sent from my iPod-2

Same here. +1:(

cheech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Today was especially ugly. Ipad connects as soon as I hit sync it starts with a "waiting for sync to begin" then freezes. (I have waited long stretches to seen if I'm just impatient. Use task mgr (win 7) to end as not responding. Try again same results. Reboot. Disconnect a couple of USB external drives. Try again, same.
Frustrating.
Try at least 3-4 more reconnects and restarts. No luck.
Move usb cord to rear of pc. no go.
Shut down wifi and cell on ipad. nope
shut down firewall and antivirus.
it starts working. I am just now waiting fo it to complete but have to head out.

Not sure I have it solved we'll see on next sync.
Question - before iOS5 I thought the ipad locked up and showed it was in sync mode, with moving the slider cancelling that action. Has this changed?
I don't see anywhere on the ipad that it's syncing.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If its in wi-fi sync there is a circling symbol on the top left of screen next to the wi-fi symbol

Most reactions

Latest posts