1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Itunes descriminates manually downloaded update package

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by 1096bimu, Oct 12, 2011.

1. 1096bimu

1096bimu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I downloaded the iOS 5 update package and tried to do the update but iTunes won't let me it just says incompatible software. So I had to download it with iTunes (because the first time I tries it it says 20hours left), but then I open up the iTunes download location, it's the exact same file! Wtf?
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    I can assure you it does not. I only ever update by the "manual" method and have never had a problem, including IOS5 today on multiple devices.

Maybe it was an incomplete download?
  3. 1096bimu

1096bimu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then what do you think is the problem? They are the exact same file. IPad2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw
  4. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    File names are pretty meaningless. What is the exact file size and hash signature (MD5)? I guarantee they are different.

It wil just be a truncated download. Always happens on a major IOS release. All the bandwidth in the world can't cope with millions of iDevices users trying to download 700MB+ files at once... :(
  5. 1096bimu

1096bimu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well maybe it was incomplete or something, but I have almost never ever encountered an incomplete download with the downloading software saying that it was completed. Maybe once in the past 10 years. and I download stuff everyday, literally.
    キャプチャ.PNG
  6. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    I agree. I'm in the same boat. But a major IOS release tends to re-write the rules :)

The "manual" method is selecting a firmware is a failsafe provided by Apple in iTunes. It is not a work-around or other "fudge" of the system. So there is no way Apple would "hobble" it or otherwise disable it. It exists specifically so that you can always install a version of IOS by providing a valid firmware file.

As I say, I use it exclusively and always have, including 4 times today!
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011