What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes a ripoff

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Docvan said:
Interesting...i just downloaded iswifter ( the free trial version to see if I like it). It runs flash video better than the photon browser. So I could run streaming video from amazon prime with that? Incidently, i'm using OnCloud ( free ) and it gives me a pretty good version of MS OFFICE but no IE.

I'd hate to say yes when I have not tried it myself, but my guess is you can. Please try and report back. It would be welcome info.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
I use iTunes occasionally for first run movies. They are about the same price point as other on demand services and I buy through Apple TV and just rent them. It's handy and beats renting on the iPad because they stream immediately on Apple TV whereas they must be downloaded to the iPad when rented or purchased which is a substantial wait time between ordering and viewing.

Now as related to dated media? They are gouging. Movies readily available on Netflix and other providers are billed at about 80% of the price of a first run rental. It is ridiculous and while buyer beware sounds great I still see their attempt to gouge me as exactly that.,,,an attempt to gouge the unknowing or naive folks who pay these outrageously high fees for watching something TNT or AMC runs with regularity.

I suppose their is a market that pays for these. My guess is folks who don't have cable services for TV viewing....a market that is larger than many expect and it isn't a new market. Sure many folks are migrating away from cable now with the Hulus, Netflixes, and other streaming providers but there were, and still are, a great number of people who never bought into cable services yet embraced streaming as their exclusive means of home entertainment. The ones I know aren't lacking for money either, most frown upon the reality of TV news and entertainment shows as harmful to their children so they prefer entertainment ala carte where they control all content.

Still though I think iTunes should examine a subscription model for dated content because the prices they charge for this genre are out of line as I see it.

The way I look at this is when people pay what seems like a lot to watch a movie i can watch for less or for free, they may have a good reason for doing so. They may drive a truck and need to relax after a long day in a motel room. Or maybe they are at some other remote location and aren't netflix or prime members. Or, maybe they just have tons of money and just prefer to watch want is right in front of them without stressing about being ripped off. Market forces rule and believe it or not, people are not all stupid.....if the iTunes product didn't offer something of value to people it would have vanished a long time ago.....and this is said by someone who has never bought an iTunes movie....and I have a hard time imagining that I ever will..but you never can be sure....

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have to agree with some of the comments,if i think something is overpriced i just wont buy it,simple.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the owners/distributors of the movies also have some say in the price of movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts