What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes 12.7 - Read First Before Downloading!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Several days ago, one the the Admins in the MacForums started this THREAD warning about changes in iTunes 12.7 that will likely irked many uses - another member provided several links (just one paragraph quoted below) - LINK 1 & LINK 2.

BTW, I'm RadDave there and left several posts in that thread about buying a new iPad later in the year - these changes may impact on a restoration? For those using iTunes w/ their iDevices, check out the MacForums thread and the links given. Dave :)

This change will be problematic for many users. Since you can no longer sync apps from iTunes, if you have multiple iOS devices, you’ll need to download apps to each device individually. This means that if you have limited bandwidth, or bandwidth caps, you may have problems getting your apps and updates. Also, if you have a bunch of apps that you don’t keep on your devices, you will no longer be able to sync them when you want to from iTunes. I have about 20 GB of apps on my iMac, that I have downloaded at different times, some of which I occasionally put on one of my four iOS devices. While those apps are still in my iTunes Media folder after updating iTunes, there is now no way I can sync them to my devices.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a workaround. If you open the iTunes media folder then click on the mobile applications folder, you'll see a list of all the apps stored on your computer. Click on the app you wish to install on your iOS device can copy it using the edit menu. Now, while you have your iOS device connected to iTunes on your Mac, go back to the edit menu and click on the copy button. This will now sync the app to your connected iOS device. It is slower as you have to do this one at a time if you want to sync multiple apps. It tested it out yesterday on my iPhone 6 Plus which is currently running the iOS 11 Gold Master and it worked.

A disappointment is that you cannot add any new apps to your iTunes media folder.

Edit: I see this was covered in your second link.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a workaround. If you open the iTunes media folder then click on the mobile applications folder, you'll see a list of all the apps stored on your computer. Click on the app you wish to install on your iOS device can copy it using the edit menu. Now, while you have your iOS device connected to iTunes on your Mac, go back to the edit menu and click on the copy button. This will now sync the app to your connected iOS device. It is slower as you have to do this one at a time if you want to sync multiple apps. It tested it out yesterday on my iPhone 6 Plus which is currently running the iOS 11 Gold Master and it worked.

A disappointment is that you cannot add any new apps to your iTunes media folder.

Edit: I see this was covered in your second link.

Hi SciFan.. - thanks for your response and the edit, which was discussed in that second link w/ the author concluding "There are ways to sync these items, but it’s a kludge." (had to look up the term in bold - quoted below - Source).

I was planning to buy a new iPad at the end of the year and now am wondering about the 'setup & restoration' to the new device from my iPad Air 2? I have two paid apps on my MBPro, i.e. iExplorer and iMazing - I know the latter best, which has improved in recent years and is ready for the new iOS - a neat feature is called 'Transfer' which allows attachment of both iDevices to a computer and presumably the 'new' device converted from the older one (pic below) - Dave :)

kludge (or kluge)
noun, Computer Slang.
1. a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.
Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.35.16 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found the only bit of the iOS App Store left in iTunes 12.7. If you go to your iTunes account page and click on the manage button in hidden purchases, you'll be taken to a screen where you can unhide any hidden items in your purchase history, including from the App Store.
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 12.16.16 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently, iTunes 12.7 may irk many users and I'm not sure how well SciFan..'s suggestion will work for those needing the feature? But, I'm on the mailing list of OSXDaily which provides frequent and useful information on Apple products - just received the mailing today (shown below) about 'downgrading' from iTunes 12.7 back to 12.6 - the process seems complicated and subject to problems, so probably only of value to those discussed - read carefully; I suspect most will not need to do this downgrade and that Apple may just come out w/ some updates to 12.7 that might address the concerns - don't know. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 7.42.29 PM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions