What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itune sees my ipad as iPhone

sangweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi expert, I am not sure how or what my nephew did but his ipad now looks dead. When I get it to DFU mode and try to restore, the iTune sees it as iPhone and won't let me restore using iPad IOS. Can this be fix? TIA.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying that when you connect your iPad in DFU mode iTunes gives the message that it sees an "iPhone" in recovery mode? This would indicate to me you have an old version of iTunes. You should make sure you have updated to the latest.
Then simply connect the iPad and press restore. If this does not work, please give more details of the EXACT messages shown on screen. There is not enough detail to assist you from the information you gave above. OK?

For example, is it an iPad1 or iPad2, and what version of IOS did it have on it?

OP
S

sangweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, iTunes sees iPhone, not ipad

Are you saying that when you connect your iPad in DFU mode iTunes gives the message that it sees an "iPhone" in recovery mode? This would indicate to me you have an old version of iTunes. You should make sure you have updated to the latest.
Then simply connect the iPad and press restore. If this does not work, please give more details of the EXACT messages shown on screen. There is not enough detail to assist you from the information you gave above. OK?

For example, is it an iPad1 or iPad2, and what version of IOS did it have on it?

It is an iPad 1, was running IOS 4.3.3 Jailbroken. I do have the latest iTunes 10.4.1.01. Currently I don't see anything on the screen, not even the Connect to Itune icon. The only way I can put it in DFU mode is using redsn0w. Once I've done that, I then open iTunes and it automatically detect it as iPHone in DFU mode and it asks me to do a recovery. I said yes and it runs for a while then comes back an error
The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible
I even try the offline restore but it says the same thing. It is still under warranty but I am afraid that it was jailbroken and Apple might not honor it if they find out at the store. Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
S

sangweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say an offline restore, do you mean a manual one, where you select the firmware file? What file are you using? Are you sure it is the correct one?
Did you download it from our sticky here? - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html
It sounds to me like you may have an incomplete or incorrect IPSW file for the restore.

yes, I've downloaded from the link above. I am 100% sure that it is an iPad 1 file.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if the iPad wont boot and wont show anything on the screen, then you should be fine to return it to the Apple store. I'm assuming if you hold power and home for 10 seconds it does not reboot normally? If not, then you are fine to return it. They wont perform any magic to ascertain if its jailbroken. They should just replace it on the spot.

OP
S

sangweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like I have to take a trip back to Apple store.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And, of course, you will undoubtedly be given a replacement iPad that can not be jailbroken. Seems like you might really COMPLETELY exhaust all possibilities of getting your iPad restored somehow. Maybe some others here have further info on this. Good luck.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts