What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's official - I'm getting an iPad for Christmas

Martin9752

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey fellas I am new to the forums and am getting the 32 gb wifi IPad for XMas. I am unsure of this as a gift as I have an android phone and have been contemplating the Ipad or new Ipod 4th gen. I am hoping the ipad blows my mind and I keep it. My wife got it from Target so I have 3 Months to decide if I like it lol. If not i will return. I am very excited to play with this thing though.

Nite_Hawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my iPad as an early Christmas present. 32g wifi. Been using it most of the night and it is awesome. It's a lot faster than my laptop is and I'm able to be more comfortable while surfing the web on the couch so far. I'm sure I'll looking around for more answers when I have questions but so far I'm pretty confident in my ipad skills lol

NYR16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming to a theater near you........:eek:

5282745160_2fa38cb312.jpg

PCguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am yet another one getting the iPad for Christmas and yes I must wait as well.

I am a little nervous as I have just learned I have to connect it to my PC for some reason. The only experience I have with iTunes and Apple products is the first shuffle and Nano, neither of which I use anymore. I am hoping iTunes and Win7x64 play nice and that I can use the iPad as more of a stand alone product. I have no reason to play music or watch movies on the iPad so I am hoping there is no need to connect to my PC.

I am very excited to join the iPad culture. Oh I hope it comes with enough charge to at least start playing with right out of the box!

Any suggustions about what I should do first would be greatly appreciated. Is there more than one app store? Can I preview apps online before I get the iPad?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. You will need to connect to iTunes to set up your iPad initially ~ and later to get updates, backup and sync. After you do this, you can go to the iTunes app store and starting finding all the apps you want!

Start with Angry Birds.

:D

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am very excited to join the iPad culture. Oh I hope it comes with enough charge to at least start playing with right out of the box!

Any suggustions about what I should do first would be greatly appreciated. Is there more than one app store? Can I preview apps online before I get the iPad?

Hey, PCguy, welcome!

My iPad came right from the Apple store and out of the box with some charge on it (about 70%, if I remember correctly). So, you'll have just enough time to play with it, get engrossed in something and then ... you'll have to charge it. :D

And yes, you'll have to play with iTunes, but not that much if you don't do music or movies. I also have a Win7x64 (Professional) system and it works great with iTunes. You'll have to have the latest version of iTunes to start off with.

One good way to get familiar with iTunes and the app store is to browse the apps via iTunes. Once you've got iTunes running on your system, go to the iTunes store (I've also got a hot link in iTunes to browse apps directly - but I think you have to have some on your iTunes before you get that link on the side).

Once in the store, at the top should be a link called "App Store." Click on that and you can look at all the apps available (read reviews, see prices, see what the heck the app does (!), etc.).

Oh, and using the store is like using a browser - you can go back by clicking on those teeny-tiny buttons at the top left. NOT the ones that control the playback of your music (dont' ask how I know this...:)).

Anyway, good luck and here's hoping your time until Christmas goes as fast as you wish.

Marilyn

grungeintx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waiting...waiting...another day down, and another cool graphic by NYR :D

Just bought an iTunes gift card from BB, $50 card for $40....if anyone else is interested in that, got mine yesterday, Im sure it will be ending soon.

Come on Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the wife ordered some shoes last week and they came in the mail yesterday. She proceeded to open the box and I said NO!!!!!!!!! You have to wait for Christmas, unless.....

Didnt work, she didnt open the box :(

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of you who are waiting for their Xmas iPad you now have three days, the wait is almost over:D

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no reason to play music or watch movies on the iPad

OK, you may need to rethink this, unless you just don't do movies or music at all...because you are getting (in 3 days that is...sorry :) one of the best video devices in the world. The screen is beautiful, easy to clean, crisp and sharp and provides the best personal viewing device ever! Even instructional vids are awesome on an iPad! as long as the quality of the video is decent. And music sounds spectacular - its a little big just for music, unless you talk about playing music like an electronic piano (google "iBand" and look for North Point Ministries on YouTube - very cool).

As far as what to do first, after setup of course and maybe a decent charge, go to iTunes and look for FREE Apps under subjects you might be interested in - try GoSkyWatch - very cool. From there, the door is now open, don't walk, RUN through it! Enjoy.

grover11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a good ne!

I bought myself a 64 Gig WiFi and decided not to tell anyone at home, I am going to put it under the tree to myself from Santa.
The funny thing is I ended up getting my son a 16 Gog Wifi (He knows about it). He has been really giving me a hard time about him getting one and me not having one, he keeps telling me he might let me look at it and stuff like that. The other day when everyone was still sleeping I got up and took mine out and set everything up on it (Pics, videos, apps, etc).
When he see's me get it Christmas morning and I say "How did Santa know where to get my pics, apps, and videos on here?" it will be worth all the ribbing I'm getting now.
I think I'm looking more forward to his reaction than actuall getting the ipad.

sandireese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... not sure where to put this post but I do need help so here goes: Is there a device or plans for a device to make the I PAD a phone too? I want a small ereader; phone and computer and no I don't want a phone... I want a I Pad. It is larger.
Thanks

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought myself a 64 Gig WiFi and decided not to tell anyone at home, I am going to put it under the tree to myself from Santa.
The funny thing is I ended up getting my son a 16 Gog Wifi (He knows about it). He has been really giving me a hard time about him getting one and me not having one, he keeps telling me he might let me look at it and stuff like that. The other day when everyone was still sleeping I got up and took mine out and set everything up on it (Pics, videos, apps, etc).
When he see's me get it Christmas morning and I say "How did Santa know where to get my pics, apps, and videos on here?" it will be worth all the ribbing I'm getting now.
I think I'm looking more forward to his reaction than actuall getting the ipad.

Love it, sounds like something I would do....oh wait! I wouldn't put mine under the tree I'd be using it right now and tease about my son having to wait. LOL

Most reactions