What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It Works, Really!

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded 4.2 on the iPad. I spend Tuesday and part of today reading everything I could on AirPrint. Went to Compusa today during work and bought the HP B210a for $119.99 plus tax. Came home after work and took out the old printer. Installed the B210 and installed the power cord and print cartilages. Powered it up and it went thru the setup. Searched for my network and found it and put in the password and it latched on. It printed out a spec sheet to go to a web address and setup the printer. I went to the iPad and pulled up an email and hit print and that baby printed out just fine. I had the wife download the updates to her iPhone today at work. Had her pull up an email and hit print and it printed out just fine. Put the CD in the drive of my Windows 7 desktop and went thru setup on it and selected wireless connection. Pulled an email and hit print and it printed out just fine. I've read alot of threads the past 2 days and it can work well and easy. So for $120 bucks I can print from the iPad, the iPhone and my Windows 7 desktop. I'm freaking out.:)

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool! I did something similar tonight. Went to Best Buy and purchased an Envy100. Same easy set up and the printing works flawlessly with my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Have yet to try on my PC and EVO.
Very happy! Already printed a few websites and emails.
It is incredible how far printers have come. This printer is like a mini computer...has a bunch of APPs preloaded on it and the screen is a little smaller than the iPhone, so tricky to navigate, but it is cool.

Spent a little more than I had planned, but it replaces a printer that is 4 years old, so it was time!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool! I did something similar tonight. Went to Best Buy and purchased an Envy100. Same easy set up and the printing works flawlessly with my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Have yet to try on my PC and EVO.
Very happy! Already printed a few websites and emails.
It is incredible how far printers have come. This printer is like a mini computer...has a bunch of APPs preloaded on it and the screen is a little smaller than the iPhone, so tricky to navigate, but it is cool.

Spent a little more than I had planned, but it replaces a printer that is 4 years old, so it was time!

I got the Envy 100 a month ago and I love it! Best printer I've had in a while and it scans wirelessly too! I haven't really used the built in apps, but I guess it is an interesting feature. Pretty fast printer too!

Jdm2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My network printer is company owned and I can't really change it. I'm just getting into researching the printing apps, and unless I'm missing something there's not a huge amount of info on the forums. The main printing apps have very few reviews. Anyone know where to get more info before spending 6-10 bucks on an app that has few consumer opinions? Am I missing a forum somewhere?

tonidale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but ...I have AirPrint working with my printer. Will it print to that printer from any wifi location? Say I'm at Starbucks and want to print something will it print to my home printer?
:)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but ...I have AirPrint working with my printer. Will it print to that printer from any wifi location? Say I'm at Starbucks and want to print something will it print to my home printer?
:)

You would at least have to probably do some pretty tricky networking stuff.

I'm not a big printer of anything, ever, so I'm going to hold off on my purchase to see what my options look like once other people gain experience.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I followed the instuctions posted elsewhere on these forums and got both my old wired printers working on win7 and osx. Sadly one of those machines has to be on, but airprint works well otherwise. Certainly improves the utility of the iPad and I didn't need to buy a new printer :)

Though the thought of a new one is kinda enticing....

Screamjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband purchased a HP 6500 and I dl the HP software and chose a pic and hit print. Presto, pic printed. I love HP and apple! My poor husband has a company laptop and still hasn't gotten past the firewall.

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Bluejam

I got a HP-B210a yesterday and like you said no problems with getting it to print from the iPad. I did notice that if there is photo paper in the tray the photos from my iPad photo albums are printed on photo paper (excellent quality). Also the wifi printer was easy to set up on my win7 laptop but a little harder to setup on my wife's MacBook. Got it at Staples in Wpg. and paid $20 more than you did but I got a free camera (am giving the camera to my granddaughter).

Again thanks
Bruce

P.S. HP provides e-mail address for the printer that you can sign up to and you can send e-mail from anywhere from your iPad to your printer. Personally I can not think of a reason that I would use this.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an hp photosmart (no wifi) and have it connected to an old desktop. Then I installed AirPrint on the desktop and it works great! I swear the iPad prints higher quality than my toshiba laptop with windows 7!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded 4.2 on the iPad. I spend Tuesday and part of today reading everything I could on AirPrint. Went to Compusa today during work and bought the HP B210a for $119.99 plus tax. Came home after work and took out the old printer. Installed the B210 and installed the power cord and print cartilages. Powered it up and it went thru the setup. Searched for my network and found it and put in the password and it latched on. It printed out a spec sheet to go to a web address and setup the printer. I went to the iPad and pulled up an email and hit print and that baby printed out just fine. I had the wife download the updates to her iPhone today at work. Had her pull up an email and hit print and it printed out just fine. Put the CD in the drive of my Windows 7 desktop and went thru setup on it and selected wireless connection. Pulled an email and hit print and it printed out just fine. I've read alot of threads the past 2 days and it can work well and easy. So for $120 bucks I can print from the iPad, the iPhone and my Windows 7 desktop. I'm freaking out.:)

But . . . your printer is on Apple's list of AirPrint compatible printers. What bugs me is that I cant print to my brand new wireless printer. I seem to recall that at the last minute, Apple removed the capability to print to all (well, most, anyway) WiFi enabled printers.

Anyone know the scoop?

So I read all AirPrint related threads in the hopes of finding a solution that does not involve buying an app just to make my iPad print from Pages. I just bought my printer and I'll be hanged if I am going to buy an AP enabled printer.

I would love to be able to print directly from Pages.

Bob Maxey

Most reactions

Latest posts